News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

poindexter

Started by cjkbug, June 26, 2011, 06:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjkbug

here's a poindexter, witch has become my favorite octafuzz of late. stuffed it all into a transparent gold powdercoated 1290a box from ppp, with some nifty gold jacks top mounted. put a couple different pairs of oddball ge diodes on a switch and thats all she wrote. sounds octave....licious? octave....tastic? sounds good...real good, and quiet too! I was expecting it to be rather noisy without shielded leads but they weren't necessary.

I got blisters on my fingers!!!

pandadandan

Try some red 3mm LEDs as clippers.  Trust me, it's worth it.

raulduke

Nice..... very nice mate!!!

I love the mash up of knobs you have used. Very cool.

night-B

Your build is so neat and well planed that there's a lot of space left inside  :o
Congrats!

cjkbug

Quote from: pandadandan on June 26, 2011, 06:54:54 AM
ya know, I've liked those in everything I've put them in so far. how do they affect the octave?

cjkbug

Quote from: night-B on June 26, 2011, 11:25:27 AM
Your build is so neat and well planed that there's a lot of space left inside  :o
Congrats!
I can hide my weed in there!!!

pandadandan

Apart from the huge volume boost (careful!) they are a polar opposite sound; aggressive and heavy as opposed to the warmth of the germanium.  The best way I can describe a switch would be "vintage" and "modern"  ;D

The octave is still there though as the q3/4 pair are still doing their thing.

jtn191

Quote from: cjkbug on June 26, 2011, 12:56:38 PM

I think a battery is more common  ;)

what are your opinions on tantalum caps and what was your source?

bigmufffuzzwizz

I love it! I bought a pointdexter too just because it seems like its gonna be a wackyazz pedal. Does it put the tone machine to shame?  ;D
That'd be quite a trek if you had to open up your pedal everytime you wanted to take a ride...!!  :D
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

k.rock!

Awesome as usual man! Love the finish on this one...great job!

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

cjkbug

Quote from: jtn191 on June 26, 2011, 02:24:42 PM
Quote from: cjkbug on June 26, 2011, 12:56:38 PM

I think a battery is more common  ;)

what are your opinions on tantalum caps and what was your source?
I was joking 'bout the weed. I'm straight as an arrow. I used tantalums cuz there tiny and I didn't have much room. I don't think there's much of a difference in tone. I can't remember who I got them from. I got some crazy deal for a few hundred of 'em so I stocked up. But I always use the nichicon golds if I have room.

jimmybjj

just curious, where do you get gold jacks?
Pcbs no longer available

cjkbug

it was from some random ebay searching. Some chinese supplier. They aren't the highest quality, but definately passable. I got a half dozen and I've never found any more. they were only available in mono as well. I'g love to get my hands on some more as they take up very little room lengthwise. they'd be great for the micro sized enclosures. I love finding stuff that is a little uncommon.

nzCdog

Nice job man... I'd like to try this project  :)

Quote from: pandadandan on June 26, 2011, 06:54:54 AM
Interesting...better order a board