News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

which waterslides do you use?

Started by luks999, May 11, 2015, 11:30:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luks999

i kinda struggle to find good ones
which brand of waterslides do you prefer?

Luke51411

I've had good luck with these both clear and white. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=231269343104
Don't know if that helps if you're not in the us... But that's what works for me

luks999

thanks for the info, seems like the best waterslides are from the us...  ;)
ive found a ton american made waterslides, but barely anyone from europe / eu

DuctTapeRiot

In my experience, Papilio is way better than the others I have tried (Testors, and one other that I cant remember the brand name of)  http://www.papilio.com/inkjet%20waterslide%20decal%20transfer%20paper%20media.html

peAk

peAk

Quote from: DuctTapeRiot on May 11, 2015, 04:11:54 PM
In my experience, Papilio is way better than the others I have tried (Testors, and one other that I cant remember the brand name of)  http://www.papilio.com/inkjet%20waterslide%20decal%20transfer%20paper%20media.html

Just bought some self-adhesive decals from them and it looks to be pretty great. If I ever buy waterside again, I think I will order from these guys and try their stuff.

m-Kresol

I've bought this one:
http://www.amazon.de/Wasserschiebefolie-Papier-Transfer-transparent-Laserdrucker/dp/B00L8RJIOS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1431361385&sr=8-3&keywords=decal+laserdrucker

German vendor, fairly quick delivery. The paper is ok, nothing bad to say about it, I still preferred the one musikding is selling. And make sure to check Ebay for this vendor. If I remember correctly the shipping was way cheaper buying from the same thing from the same guy over Ebay instead of amazon
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

luks999

felix i used the same one for inkjet printers
color wont stick. no matter how much clear coat finish i apply or how long i let it dry...
the foil was a pain to use, because it immediatley stuck on my enclosure and i couldnt move it...

hmm i will try again. the one from musikding worked perfect...

maybe i should buy a laser printer anyway

m-Kresol

laserprinter is definetely more comfortable. I haven't tried inkjet to be honest. I don't have a printer at home so I always do it at work

I found that it helps to splash a little water onto the enclosure's surface. Makes moving the decal once applied easier. I then use pieces of the backing paper to smoothen the decal and push the water from underneath.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Luke51411

Quote from: luks999 on May 12, 2015, 05:43:29 PM
felix i used the same one for inkjet printers
color wont stick. no matter how much clear coat finish i apply or how long i let it dry...
the foil was a pain to use, because it immediatley stuck on my enclosure and i couldnt move it...

hmm i will try again. the one from musikding worked perfect...

maybe i should buy a laser printer anyway
Are you near anywhere you can pay to have stuff printed? I usually pack 4 enclosure decals on one sheet and take my flash drive to the local office supplies store and have them print it on their color laser printer. It costs like 50 cents per copy, at that cost and the low volume I print it is a lot cheaper than buying a color laser printer.

TNblueshawk

Quote from: DuctTapeRiot on May 11, 2015, 04:11:54 PM

+100 I've used a few hundred, both clear and white backing, and have zero regrets with the paper quality. Now, my quality, that's another story  :P
John

luks999

Quote from: m-Kresol on May 12, 2015, 05:49:58 PM
laserprinter is definetely more comfortable. I haven't tried inkjet to be honest. I don't have a printer at home so I always do it at work

I found that it helps to splash a little water onto the enclosure's surface. Makes moving the decal once applied easier. I then use pieces of the backing paper to smoothen the decal and push the water from underneath.

that hint with the water did the trick, thanks felix
i could it made, maybe i had one bad foil or i didnt apply enough finish

ive never used laser waterslides, you dont need to apply any finish right?

Luke51411

Quote from: luks999 on May 13, 2015, 12:41:15 PM

Correct. Just print and apply. I always add a clear coat once its dry on the enclosure for extra adherence.

luks999

Quote from: Luke51411 on May 13, 2015, 12:47:55 PM

Correct. Just print and apply. I always add a clear coat once its dry on the enclosure for extra adherence.

ok cool :)
i can also print it at work for free, but i have to get these laser waterslides first (laser wont stick on inkjet waterslide, ive tried that)
for the finishing i use epoxy (envirotex like)

Luke51411

Quote from: luks999 on May 13, 2015, 01:01:03 PM
Quote from: Luke51411 on May 13, 2015, 12:47:55 PM

ok cool :)
i can also print it at work for free, but i have to get these laser waterslides first (laser wont stick on inkjet waterslide, ive tried that)
for the finishing i use epoxy (envirotex like)
Yup, laser waterslides are really easy to use. I've only messed up 1 or 2 so far and that was just from ham handing it or spraying the clear coat too soon.