News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

DIY Minimoog!

Started by monkeyssj1, May 11, 2015, 08:43:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkeyssj1

Also for anyone interested in DIY synth things in general, Muffwiggler is a great resource for projects. There are so many rad projects in the DIY thread.

midwayfair

JakeFuzz

This is so cool. I ordered one board for me and my synth friend to play with. I probably wont finish it for a while but I can't wait to hear it when its done. Always wanted a Moog since I played with my buddies Prodigy.

alanp

He designed it to fit in a little metal briefcase (originally had some kind of uC stuff in it, I forget what.)

jdesgoulet is also working on a Minimoog board, I'm waiting to see how that pans out before I jump either way. Too much offboard wires for Crow's board.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

raulduke

Looks cool.

I should think it Would fly together once the PCB is built.

I think I'm gonna stick with my eurorack stuff for now though.

Muadzin

Looks like both a very cool project and nightmare to both source and troubleshoot. Cost aside I'm not even sure what I'm going to do with it. My live rig is already way too huge to be carried around without roadies and this is just too cool to sit around and gather dust at home.

chromesphere

Wow, now thats a test of patience...so thats me out lol
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

Haberdasher

it looks awesome but honestly i wouldn't even know what to do with it lol
if i ever built one i'd probably just give it to my brother and let him go nuts
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

peAk

I am not going to go the suitcase route, I think I will do something like medbot did with his:

Maybe with a face plate though

JakeFuzz

We will probably go the panel route as well. Whenever I am playing synth I am always fiddling with the knobs way too much to have them that tightly spaced. Looking at one of the 17"x10" Hammond boxes with maybe a hinged back panel for the pcb. I am thinking of mounting all the trimmers on the backside of the pcb and just drilling holes in the back panel so I dont have to wade through the spaghetti to get it calibrated...

monkeyssj1

I'm not sure what ima do. I'm interested in seeing your guys' panels. Maybe I could pitch you something to have one made if it's not a tricky thing to do?

raulduke

Devils advocate and all that... you can buy a full kit for one of these for 180 euros:
http://mutable-instruments.net/shruthi1

It's not a MiniMoog, but it covers a lot of that ground, and has a shit ton of other features.

Only thing is it uses digital wavetable oscillators, but I would still HIGHLY recommend it as a 'dip your toe' synth build.

The menu architecture is super easy to get a handle on, and it has audio in so you can process your guitar etc through it.

I've got one and it's great.

Mutable Instruments are probably one of the most kick ass music tech companies out there (IMO).

monkeyssj1

dude I was thinking about a shruthi the other day! The minimoog will be such a fantastic project though. And in comparison it's hard for me to justify how much that guy costs. I wish the shruthi was just sold as a board with a  b.o.m. ::)

peAk

Quote from: raulduke on May 12, 2015, 09:40:33 AM
Devils advocate and all that... you can buy a full kit for one of these for 180 euros:
It's not a MiniMoog, but it covers a lot of that ground, and has a shit ton of other features.

Only thing is it uses digital wavetable oscillators, but I would still HIGHLY recommend it as a 'dip your toe' synth build.

The menu architecture is super easy to get a handle on, and it has audio in so you can process your guitar etc through it.

Mutable Instruments are probably one of the most kick ass music tech companies out there (IMO).

No doubt that I should have started with something like this. I honestly feel like I have been waiting, and waiting, and waiting, to make the jump. Building the Synare analog drum gave me a taste of what it feels like to build something that generates sound rather than effect it. It was a pretty big rush. My love for synths is probably greater than my love for guitars even though I have been player guitar for 25 years. 

I have watched you guys do your Euro rack stuff and I really thought about going that way. I think in the end, that is the way I want to go because it offers the most flexibility. That said, after daniel posted this and I saw/heard it, I got goose bumps and decided that...at a $100, it was time to jump in. At $350 total, it's a no brainer if this ends successfully  :o

I do feel kind of "silly" jumping from pretty much no synth building experience into something like this when I know it would have been better to start with something like you suggested. I am just not convinced when/if I would have ever jumped in had I not seen something like this to "Wow" me....if that makes sense....? I definitely may be regretting my decision later.

EBRAddict

Quote from: raulduke on May 12, 2015, 09:40:33 AM

Did you DIY? How much wiring is involved?