Previous topic - Next topic

micromegas

'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

raulduke

Quote from: EBRAddict on May 12, 2015, 02:27:53 PM
Quote from: raulduke on May 12, 2015, 09:40:33 AM
I've got one and it's great.

Did you DIY? How much wiring is involved?

Its always DIY as far as I know... I don't think they sell assembled units.

Pretty much 0 wiring.

It was relatively easy to put together to be honest.

dont-tase-me-bro

stupid question:

can you plug a guitar into that and use it like a pedal?

signed,
name withheld
I thought this would save me money.

raulduke

Not a stupid question at all.

Answer is pretty much.

There is no bypass switching, and from memory you have to give the VCA a gate signal (of some description) to allow audio through. There is also no envelope detector etc. (the usual kind of stuff you'd find on guitar filters).

Therefore I would definitely think of it as a Synth predominantly, with the ability to process audio if you wish.

Note the filter section is all analogue. Mutable used to sell different filter cards that you could put in (MS20, PoliVoks etc.) but I think they stopped when their Eurorack stuff kicked off (they struggle to keep up with demand).

micromegas

Quote from: raulduke on May 13, 2015, 01:27:02 AM
Mutable used to sell different filter cards that you could put in (MS20, PoliVoks etc.) but I think they stopped when their Eurorack stuff kicked off (they struggle to keep up with demand).
They don't sell them anymore, but as they follow an open source principle with the Shruthi the eagle files are in a github repository :)
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

raulduke

Quote from: micromegas on May 13, 2015, 02:04:54 AM
Quote from: raulduke on May 13, 2015, 01:27:02 AM
Mutable used to sell different filter cards that you could put in (MS20, PoliVoks etc.) but I think they stopped when their Eurorack stuff kicked off (they struggle to keep up with demand).
They don't sell them anymore, but as they follow an open source principle with the Shruthi the eagle files are in a github repository :)
Exactly  :)

Sorry for HiJacking this MiniMoog thread but this is worth picking up on.

Mutable did a range of filter boards for the Shruthi, all of which can process audio.

One of them included a  Digital FX board including delays, comb filters, pitch shifters, loopers etc.

Really really interesting stuff, and all open source. It's interesting just to look at the schematics and Eagle files just as a learning exercise.

See here: http://mutable-instruments.net/shruthi1/build

There is also a Sound On Sound review here: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep12/articles/shruthi-1.htm

If it reads like I am plugging Mutable, it's only because I think they are one of the best, and also most generous, synthesiser/music tech companies out there  8)

playpunk

Hey another dumb question, what kind of controller do you need for this stuff? Also, if anyone needs a good synth shop, there is a guy in my town (rick @ cool little music shop in fredonia ny) who has tons of awesome synth stuff. When we get a new house I want to start getting some synth stuff together.... Is there a synths for dummies guide?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk

raulduke

Quote from: playpunk on May 13, 2015, 05:05:31 AM
Hey another dumb question, what kind of controller do you need for this stuff?.... Is there a synths for dummies guide?

At the most basic level you need something that outputs Midi (be that a Midi keyboard, or a Midi output from your DAW) to play a synth that has no built in keyboard, but features Midi In (like the Moog clone featured, or the Shruthi).

You also need means to monitor the audio coming out of the synth (be that headphones, an amplifier, or an audio input on a soundcard etc).

A lot of Soundcards feature Midi In/Out ports, so you can effectively 'play' a synth via your DAW (digital audio workstation) midi tracks, and monitor the audio via your soundcard audio inputs.

Some synths (eg. the Arturia Microbrute) feature a built in keyboard and headphone amp, so they are really simple to setup and play:

That's the basics, but you can pretty much go as deep as you want, and voltage control stuff can get really crazy. Look at Eurorack stuff for example  ;D:

EDIT: Also note all the synths mentioned in this thread are MONOPHONIC.

This means you can only play one note at a time.

POLYPHONIC (multiple notes at one time) analogue synths are available, but they tend to be very expensive.

Digital Synths are quite often polyphonic, but they don't have that analogue 'mojo' that everyone craves  :)

playpunk

so if I wanted to get into synth stuff, I could get an all in one synth like the arturia, then eventually use that to control a modular synth setup if I wanted to?

peAk

Quote from: playpunk on May 13, 2015, 05:05:31 AM
Hey another dumb question, what kind of controller do you need for this stuff? Also, if anyone needs a good synth shop, there is a guy in my town (rick @ cool little music shop in fredonia ny) who has tons of awesome synth stuff. When we get a new house I want to start getting some synth stuff together.... Is there a synths for dummies guide?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

any basic midi controller will do.

Midi controllers are like anything else, you get what you pay for. You can find something really cheap that will work just fine for playing basic keyboard stuff

I use my midi controller for everything and it ties directly into my (Cubase) DAW.

http://www.nektartech.com/PRODUCTS/Panorama-P4-P6

I highly recommend these controllers to anyone who does a lot of recording/production/midi stuff.

raulduke

Quote from: playpunk on May 13, 2015, 06:43:04 AM
so if I wanted to get into synth stuff, I could get an all in one synth like the arturia, then eventually use that to control a modular synth setup if I wanted to?

As a starter analogue synth I couldn't really think of a better option. It also has CV connections (Control Voltages as used to interface with Eurorack), so if you decide to expand to modular systems you would still have a use for it.

peAk

Quote from: raulduke on May 13, 2015, 06:54:52 AM
Quote from: playpunk on May 13, 2015, 06:43:04 AM

As a starter analogue synth I couldn't really think of a better option. It also has CV connections (Control Voltages as used to interface with Eurorack), so if you decide to expand to modular systems you would still have a use for it.

and those mini/micro brutes are suppose to sound really nice. If Adrian Utley from Portishead uses one, you know they must be cool.  8)

playpunk

Ok, so you can use a sweet MIDI controller like those to run both analog and soft synths, including reason and omnisphere and whatever else people use for big ridiculous pads?

Just want to make sure I actually understand this stuff before I start down the rabbit hole.

peAk

Quote from: playpunk on May 13, 2015, 07:03:35 AM
Ok, so you can use a sweet MIDI controller like those to run both analog and soft synths, including reason and omnisphere and whatever else people use for big ridiculous pads?

Just want to make sure I actually understand this stuff before I start down the rabbit hole.

Yes, this is correct. You will obviously need an audio interface that has a midi input or a separate midi interface to connect to the computer. ...but yes, midi controls midi hardware as well as software synths

peAk

Sorry raulduke, kept crossing responses with you

I agree with everything you said and I believe that the Brutes are the best option for the money. And at least they somewhat hold their value unlike midi controllers.