News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Next build suggestions...

Started by VanDerchuck, May 14, 2015, 08:54:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VanDerchuck

I'm finishing up my last big build and I need some suggestions for the next. I'm getting ready to order supplies and need to make up my mind in the next couple days.

I've done almost twenty pedals at this point. Fuzz, overdrives, phasers, compressors, and a couple reverbs. So I'm at my next step. Maybe something a little harder. I've been looking for delays but I don't want to waste money on PT2399's if I don't have to. I like to order on odd IC, and one extra. But I'd rather not order 5 or more to get a pedal to work. It's not fun or cost effective. Are they really that bad?

And are there other pedals I'm not thinking of? Maybe a cocked Wah or auto wah or synth sounding pedal. Something that is fun to build and play.

Prefabbed PCB would be best. Any suggestions?
My $.02 is worth exactly that...

Luke51411

I'll recommend Rej's fluff girl envelope filter

TGP39

Have you tried making a combo pedal yet?

Steve.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

GermanCdn

PT2399s are not that bad and you can by verified ones from the likes of Paul (chromesphere) for very reasonable prices.  Or you can order 10 for $5 from a myriad of online Chinese suppliers, and you will get some that work fine, others that will be noisy, and some that will lock up.

Build a delay, a trem, or a filter.  Lots of good options out there for all of those.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Luke51411

I found a company selling pt2399s on ebay in the use 25 for like $12. You will inevitably build more delays once you've built one!

televisiondown

"Be more constructive with your feedback, please" ~Jemaine Clement

jimilee

Everything you haven't built yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jkokura

For a couple PT2399 Delays you wouldn't need to order more than 3 PT2399s. They're not that bad that you have to sort through a lot. If you ordered 3, that would be enough to build two delay pedals and have one extra chip to switch in if one sounds dirty or has a lock up issue.

I recommend the Hamlet+ if you like Tap Tempo and want to dial out some of the PT2399 noise on long delays., and the Echo Base is consistently a favourite. I like the Modulay if you like just a simple 125B size delay with modulation. The Zeropoint deluxe has a great sound, as do the the various 1776 options.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

midwayfair

Another +1 for an envelope filter. It's just not a sound you can fake if you need it for something. And a delay or six, of course ...

flanagan0718

Quote from: Luke51411 on May 14, 2015, 09:04:46 AM
I'll recommend Rej's fluff girl envelope filter
I haven't had a chance to build the FG but I would defiantly recommend a envelope filter. I did build the Kraken and that was a blast!

blearyeyes

You could build a delay and I have about 60 extra pt2399s laying around from trying to get them to wok with tap tempo. Sell sum cheap. .45 cents each. But you could try an Arcadiator or Twin peaks tremelo if you want to do something different and there is always the Doubel Ganger from lace sensor. What I'm trying to do and failing at is building a pedal board that I love. So I look at what I don't have and one that seems to keep coming up is a auto wah..

or The ultimate modulation combo...The ultimate dirt combo...Jimi Hendrix Combo.???

VanDerchuck

Ok, so Envelope Filter is a definite. Delay is a giant maybe. I'm thinking about building a Cave Dweller on Vero. Mostly as a starting point for delays. Also as a tester for chips. I may etch a pcb if I get enough stuff to do all at once. But that might be a while.

Now, it appears that the only PT2399's on EBay are the same as Tayda. Is there one standard brand?
My $.02 is worth exactly that...

Muadzin

Quote from: VanDirvChuck on May 14, 2015, 08:54:30 AMI've been looking for delays but I don't want to waste money on PT2399's if I don't have to. I like to order on odd IC, and one extra. But I'd rather not order 5 or more to get a pedal to work. It's not fun or cost effective. Are they really that bad?

Thing is with DIY delays, its either a PT2399 delay, or an old school BBD delay. And BBD chips are sheer unobtainium. If there was a real alternative to the PT2399 we would be using it. Lots of them! So we're stuck with them. But its not that bad. For the price of one BBD IC you could buy yourself enough PT2399's to last you a lifetime. So there. ;)

Overall I've never found the PT2399 to be that bad. They seem to work for me whenever I pop one in. But then again, what do I know in that regard, when it comes to delays I prefer commercially available delays with lots of features, like stereo ins and outs, tap tempo, time division, presets, LED screens, looping, the works. Never found a DIY delay that could kick the likes of my TC nova delay off my board. Don't expect that I ever will.