News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Random builds from the interwebz that we stumble upon

Started by Cortexturizer, May 13, 2015, 08:36:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cortexturizer

Keep it super DIYed Adan :P no commercial builders please

I agree with Alan on the Svi stuff, that fuzz posted is pretty distasteful to actually. Just IMHO. Then again, I'd vote for such a build for the ideas and effort only!
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

micromegas

Quote from: pickdropper on May 15, 2015, 08:48:45 PM

Quote from: alanp on May 14, 2015, 04:19:15 AM
Quote from: sonarchotic on May 13, 2015, 10:20:34 PM
That looks like an Osh board. How do you solder that? Flux and oven? Tiny minions?

With swearing and desoldering braid to clean it up.

It takes a bit of practice, but that can all be done by hand.  Definitely need a bit of flux and a fine tipped iron, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree about the flux, but not about the fine tipped iron. I do all my smt at home with solder paste, 2 JBCs, a 40s and a 20s if I recall correctly. At the lab I use even more flux, some fine solder and a beveled iron tip.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

micromegas

Quote from: Cortexturizer on May 15, 2015, 09:44:19 PM
Keep it super DIYed Adan :P no commercial builders please

I agree with Alan on the Svi stuff, that fuzz posted is pretty distasteful to actually. Just IMHO. Then again, I'd vote for such a build for the ideas and effort only!
ok, ok :)
I have to say in my defense that both John Lyons and Liquitone post their builds regularly in diystompboxes... and isn't SviSound a commercial builder too?  :D

davent

Quote from: micromegas on May 15, 2015, 09:46:38 PM

That looks like an Osh board. How do you solder that? Flux and oven? Tiny minions?

It takes a bit of practice, but that can all be done by hand.  Definitely need a bit of flux and a fine tipped iron, though.

I agree about the flux, but not about the fine tipped iron. I do all my smt at home with solder paste, 2 JBCs, a 40s and a 20s if I recall correctly. At the lab I use even more flux, some fine solder and a beveled iron tip.

Outside the original post and the Hexe, i've seen the others presented on diystompboxes.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

pickdropper

Yeah, you don't necessarily NEED a fine tipped iron, but many people find it difficult to do really fine pitch SMT work with a larger tip as it can hit multiple pins at the same time.  If you can do it, you are better than most.

For general SMT work (caps, resistors, SOIC ICs) the tip size is a bit less important.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

micromegas

Quote from: pickdropper on May 16, 2015, 12:19:03 AM

Yeah, you don't necessarily NEED a fine tipped iron, but many people find it difficult to do really fine pitch SMT work with a larger tip as it can hit multiple pins at the same time.  If you can do it, you are better than most.

For general SMT work (caps, resistors, SOIC ICs) the tip size is a bit less important.
you got me wrong or I expressed myself badly (probably the second). What I was trying to say is that I find it easier to do what people call "drag" soldering with that kind of ICs, it's even better for beginners as there's less chance to move the IC and bend a leg or lift a pad. Hence the bigger iron tip.

I would also add to the list a soldering braid btw, for those times when you used too much solder.

marmora

Fuzz Kaiser has an awesome collection of interesting builds:
http://fuzzkaizer.tumblr.com/

His Tongue Bender is a pretty neat creation as well.