News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Non painted aluminum enclosures, do you sand? To what grit?

Started by peAk, May 18, 2015, 11:39:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peAk

Just curious what the general thought is on bare aluminum enclosures that you do not want to paint and plan one keeping bare

Do you sand them? If so, to what grit?

davent

That will depend entirely on the degree of polish you want to achieve.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

jkokura

80, 120, 160, 200, 250, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500

Then polish with some aluminum polish, and you've got yourself a very shiny box.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

EBRAddict

I've used 80 and then 240 on a belt sander. Not mirror finished more like brushed aluminum. It's fine for waterslide decals.

pickdropper

Do you really go through ALL of those grits?  That seems like a bit of overkill.  I am sure the boxes look great, but damn.

Whenever I've sanded and polished, I've used about a third of that number of grits and it was still miserable.  :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

TGP39

Quote from: pickdropper on May 18, 2015, 02:04:12 PM
Do you really go through ALL of those grits?  That seems like a bit of overkill.  I am sure the boxes look great, but damn.

Whenever I've sanded and polished, I've used about a third of that number of grits and it was still miserable.  :-)

+1
Steve.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

micromegas

that's a lot of elbow grease Jacob... a lot.
At this point, I imagine you'll have a forearm like this one  ;D:

'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

peAk

I was kind of curious where people stop at.

Like 800, or 1000

Are most people going up to 2500?  :o

miter53

"Only sick music makes money today."-Friedrich Nietzsche
My photography website: http://michaelteresko.com/

flanagan0718

I go 150, 220, 500, 1200. Then apply water slide and clear coat. Sometimes I even skip the 150 depending on how bad the enclosure looks out of the box.

jkokura

Quote from: TGP39 on May 18, 2015, 02:08:42 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on May 18, 2015, 02:04:12 PM

+1
Steve.

Depends on the level of polish I guess. I did one with fewer, but it didn't really seem as good. I probably didn't do much with the higher, just a little. I find that if you do really well with then 80 at first, it really is easy at the end. The more you do early on, the better the end result is.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

alanp

I've done one or two nonpainted builds in my time ;) and I haven't bothered with sanding a single one. Couldn't be arsed. (To be fair, all my painted builds, the painting was done by someone *else*, not me.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website