News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Suggestions for wiring coil splitting humbuckers?

Started by brand0nized, May 19, 2015, 03:15:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brand0nized

I want to split my humbuckers on my Tele. It's dual HB with one volume and tone for the entire guitar. Any one have a diagram for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

culturejam

Seymour Duncan has just about every wiring diagram possible on their site.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

kgull

My personal favorite is to get a 4p5t switch and wiring it like this. Then replace both pots with the push/pull type wired like this.

It not only gives you the ability to coil tap both pickups, you also get a series pickup position and an out of phase position.

GermanCdn

Quote from: kgull on May 19, 2015, 08:39:10 PM
My personal favorite is to get a 4p5t switch and wiring it like this. Then replace both pots with the push/pull type wired like this.

It not only gives you the ability to coil tap both pickups, you also get a series pickup position and an out of phase position.

Just have to be careful with the 5P4T in a tele if you've got a traditional control plate and are using the Oaks-Grigsby (i.e. Fender Custom Shop) size.  The routed slot underneath the control plate in a standard tele is a little too short and narrow, and a lot of times while you can fit the switch in, one of the wafers will end up grounding against the shielding in the cavity, and you'll have problems.  You can solve this by lining your cavity with electrical tape, or if you're feeling really daring, you can route out the cavity just a bit (Fender Teles with superswitching are slightly deeper and a hair wider at the switch).
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.