News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NSPRD!

Started by mcallisterra, May 19, 2015, 11:35:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcallisterra

New Sibling Pedal Refinish Day!

This is an old BYOC Envelope Filter I've had for years. It was probably the third BYOC pedal I built before I found out about Madbean and vero >:D

It originally had a mediocre swirl paint job with waterslide decal and a mediocre clear coat and didn't look very good really. I also never used the fixed wah portion of the circuit, so I decided to whip that out, fill the holes, and refinish it.

I sent it off to FSU to my artsy sister and said she could do whatever she wanted with it, and this is what I got back!

I love it! It's so totally different to anything I would think up or be able to do. I have a lot of respect for anyone who can do this stuff.

No gut shot because I forgot!

micromegas

That's über cool! Some sweet 80s sweatsuit colors there... :) JK, your sister has done a great work, and it's really original.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

studiodunn

Sweet! I'm having some Jamz & Swatch flashbacks.

cooder

Very cool and arty look!  8)
BigNoise Amplification

nzCdog

Oh yeah!  Looks like some funky porcelain artwork 8)

davent

Came out great, fresh and original! Your sister now needs to do a build report on methods and materials used.

Is the back decorated as well?
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

mcallisterra

Quote from: davent on May 19, 2015, 08:15:55 PM
Came out great, fresh and original! Your sister now needs to do a build report on methods and materials used.

Is the back decorated as well?
dave
Thanks!

I sent the enclosure off to her in white primer as the base coat. She drew most of the design on in pencil first to make sure she liked it, then filled it all in with acrylic paints. The lettering was done with black paint pens.

Since some of the white was left exposed, and therefore didn't have any brush stroke texture to it, I decided to mod podge the whole thing to give it a uniform texture, then clear coated it with a few coats of Polycrylic. I like to use polyurethane normally because it's tougher, but it yellows slightly so it wouldn't have worked over the white.

The base of the pedal is plain white but you can see she painted onto the side of it to give it that seamless look.

midwayfair

mcallisterra

Quote from: midwayfair on May 20, 2015, 05:38:20 AM
Awesome artwork!
Thanks Jon! High praise indeed coming from you, I love all the handpainted stuff you do.

I was actually thinking of messaging you to ask how you finish/protect the acrylic artwork on your pedals because I didn't want to screw up my sister's work. In the end my method seemed to work well though so it worked out. Do you just spray clear right over the acrylic?

midwayfair

Quote from: mcallisterra on May 20, 2015, 08:28:41 AM
Do you just spray clear right over the acrylic?

Yeah, lots of thin coats, like 10 or so, and the acrylic is also model paints so a little thicker than some varieties. Just know that almost nothing you do will keep the corners from getting dinged. (I try to be aware of this when painting over the powdercoated base coat). If she used some of the less durable kinds of acrylic paints, then a clear powdercoat might be the only way to reasonably protect it. I THINK you can get away with baking a powdercoat near 120o without damaging any components, if you can't/don't want to just remove the guts.

mcallisterra

Quote from: midwayfair on May 20, 2015, 08:37:10 AM
Quote from: mcallisterra on May 20, 2015, 08:28:41 AM
Do you just spray clear right over the acrylic?

Yeah, lots of thin coats, like 10 or so, and the acrylic is also model paints so a little thicker than some varieties. Just know that almost nothing you do will keep the corners from getting dinged. (I try to be aware of this when painting over the powdercoated base coat). If she used some of the less durable kinds of acrylic paints, then a clear powdercoat might be the only way to reasonably protect it. I THINK you can get away with baking a powdercoat near 120o without damaging any components, if you can't/don't want to just remove the guts.
Good info, thanks. If she does any more for me I might look into clear powder coating :)

billstein

29palms

very nice, I like the aqua polka dots the most ;]

luks999

thats amazing. your sister got talent  8) if she is bored i have some boxes which need finishing... just kiddin :-)

PhiloB

I've had someone do artwork for a couple of my pedals and love the fact that it's not something I would have come up with.
Your sister did an outstanding job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk