News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Filter with envelope and LFO?

Started by mcallisterra, May 20, 2015, 03:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcallisterra

I'm just finishing up a Light wah build (external LDR for manual sweep and an LFO mode) and while it's a cool sounding pedal, I'm realizing that an envelope mode might be more practical on (dark) stages than the external LDR. Is there a DIY project floating around that has a good sounding envelope filter with an LFO mode too?

Luke51411

I think the best way to try something like this would be to build an optical envelope filter with the Led or leds on a switch to be controlled by an lfo. I've thought about trying something similar before.

midwayfair

You can hack the Lightwah by building an envelope generator that drives an LED, removing the manual part of the Lightwah, and appending it to your Lightwah build with a switch that changes the LED control for your vactrol between the envelope and the LFO.

Otherwise the closest thing out there that I'm aware of is the FSH-1.

Of course, you can also build an LFO to put into almost any envelope filter using much the same method.

rumbletone

I'd love to see a resonant filter with lfo control similar to the twins peak trem and liquid mercury phaser, but with envelope control too (hint hint drolo :-) ....)

drolo

Quote from: rumbletone on May 21, 2015, 02:06:36 AM
I'd love to see a resonant filter with lfo control similar to the twins peak trem and liquid mercury phaser, but with envelope control too (hint hint drolo :-) ....)
As a matter of fact I have been working on exactly something like this but keep putting it aside for whatever reason.
Somehow doing yet another pedal with the TAPLFO seems like cheating ... it's so easy to do cool stuff with this chip, its not even funny anymore :-)

Lately I have been more interested in playing with the Spin FV-1 as it seems to offer quite some possibilities for crazy filtering. Eventually I will have to decide which route to follow ...

mcallisterra

Quote from: drolo on May 21, 2015, 09:14:10 AM
Quote from: rumbletone on May 21, 2015, 02:06:36 AM
As a matter of fact I have been working on exactly something like this but keep putting it aside for whatever reason.
Somehow doing yet another pedal with the TAPLFO seems like cheating ... it's so easy to do cool stuff with this chip, its not even funny anymore :-)

Lately I have been more interested in playing with the Spin FV-1 as it seems to offer quite some possibilities for crazy filtering. Eventually I will have to decide which route to follow ...
Nice! The tremolo and phaser both sounded incredible, I just didn't have a need for either at the time. I would certainly love to see what you'd do with this idea, and I imagine I'd build one!

mcallisterra

Quote from: midwayfair on May 20, 2015, 03:53:57 PM
You can hack the Lightwah by building an envelope generator that drives an LED, removing the manual part of the Lightwah, and appending it to your Lightwah build with a switch that changes the LED control for your vactrol between the envelope and the LFO.

Otherwise the closest thing out there that I'm aware of is the FSH-1.

Of course, you can also build an LFO to put into almost any envelope filter using much the same method.
Thanks Jon, good food for thought. I played around with the Light Wah a bit earlier and think might just keep it as-is. The external LDR makes it a bit different I suppose.

It seems like out would be easier to add an LFO to an envelope filter than the other way around anyway.