News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Layout for ad-9 delay?

Started by HailToTheBlues, May 20, 2015, 06:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HailToTheBlues

Hey guys,
So a guy asked me if i could build him a clone of the Ibanez Ad-9, but i can't find any layout available for perfboard, or any pcb for it anywhere. I did find the schematic, but i'm still really in the beginning of learning how to read them and apply them, so it's still really hard for me to build a pedal based only in a schematic, many pages left for reading! 
So any help here?

Best regards!

Luke51411

I haven't seen a layout other than one on ebay that you "pre-order" with no definite production date. All that to say I'd be interested in a layout/pcb as well so I'll be following this thread.

HamSandwich

If you are unfamiar with doing layouts from schematics, I suggest you stay away from BBD delays. There are some imperative placements of the clocks, grounding, etc that can make a somewhat large and expensive PCB to fab totally useless. It can be done on perf for sure, if you have the patience! I would definitely read up on layouts, especially ones using BBDs. I know there are at least a few over on DIYSB that would be helpful!

You'll also need to figure out how to calibrate the thing, maybe it's possible by ear, but an oscilloscope would be helpful.

Anyway, to answer your question, I haven't seen a layout haha. Have you searched over at FSB? There's a lot of good stuff floating around over there. Maybe the person would be OK with an Aquaboy or something?

the3secondrule

I was working on this for quite a while.
The AD9 uses a 5 pin, 2 in 1 transistor package in the clock section, that I wasn't able to find.
I've subsequently redone the schematic using the clock section from the Boss DM2, but haven't redone my layout. I definitely want to have another go at this at some stage though. When/if I find the time....
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

teknoman2

Quote from: the3secondrule on May 20, 2015, 10:20:11 PM
I was working on this for quite a while.
The AD9 uses a 5 pin, 2 in 1 transistor package in the clock section, that I wasn't able to find.
I've subsequently redone the schematic using the clock section from the Boss DM2, but haven't redone my layout. I definitely want to have another go at this at some stage though. When/if I find the time....

I just saw your thread regarding the AD9 layout.
BBD delay's topology stage is pretty the same with most analog delays.
The only difference is the way the produce the clock frequency via clock and the BBD variations.
So to make your ad-9 schematic easier with less components and just change the clock section.
Use everything as your AD9 schematic, input stage-compression-filtering-BBD, redraw the clock section of the Aquaboy Dlx (without the vactrol, Depth pot and R56),
again use the same AD9 filtering-expansion-mixing-final stage and here you go.
You ve got the AD-9 schematic.

If you need any help just ask.

Cheers,
Panos.