News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Item from ebay help...FX90

Started by ggarms, May 21, 2015, 03:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ggarms

Hey guys,

I recently won an auction for a  dod Fx90 analog delay on ebay for about 100 with shipping. The seller had advertised it as new, and included the box and all the original materials (even the freaking DOD sticker that came with the pedal, the schem, and owners manual!) Cosmetically, this thing is nearly perfect, and I love that it came with everything. The problem is, it is not functioning properly. The pedal will randomly start oscillating (irrespective of the repeats knob position). It also goes into oscillation a lot earlier than what I've seen in videos. The seller does not accept returns, however I think I may be covered since he advertised it as new and it certainly isn't working properly. The question is this-I'd hate to let such a pristine example go back due a minor concern that may be easily fixed. I've sent him a message to at least let him know what is going on and am waiting for a reply. Should I troubleshoot and work this out, or go through the process to get my money back and try and find a properly working one, which will likely not even come close to how pretty this one is?. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I've never had to deal with a seller on ebay/faulty item in this capacity before.

Rockhorst

How are you powering the pedal and with what other effects? (although you probably thought of those things)

jimilee

Quote from: ggarms on May 21, 2015, 03:15:37 PM
Hey guys,

I recently won an auction for a  dod Fx90 analog delay on ebay for about 100 with shipping. The seller had advertised it as new, and included the box and all the original materials (even the freaking DOD sticker that came with the pedal, the schem, and owners manual!) Cosmetically, this thing is nearly perfect, and I love that it came with everything. The problem is, it is not functioning properly. The pedal will randomly start oscillating (irrespective of the repeats knob position). It also goes into oscillation a lot earlier than what I've seen in videos. The seller does not accept returns, however I think I may be covered since he advertised it as new and it certainly isn't working properly. The question is this-I'd hate to let such a pristine example go back due a minor concern that may be easily fixed. I've sent him a message to at least let him know what is going on and am waiting for a reply. Should I troubleshoot and work this out, or go through the process to get my money back and try and find a properly working one, which will likely not even come close to how pretty this one is?. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I've never had to deal with a seller on ebay/faulty item in this capacity before.
I'd start a claim, if you were going to trouble shoot it, I'd just rather build one, and for a lot less thank 100 I'm guessing.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Stomptown

Quote from: ggarms on May 21, 2015, 03:15:37 PM
Hey guys,

Did you check to make sure it actually has an MN3005 chip in there?  Does it look modded at all? 

HamSandwich

Quote from: jimilee on May 21, 2015, 03:35:33 PM
I'd start a claim, if you were going to trouble shoot it, I'd just rather build one, and for a lot less thank 100 I'm guessing.

An MN3005 delay for a lot less than $100? You could maybe sneak in just around $100 if you have a lot of the stuff to make a complete pedal already.

ggarms

I mean I already have my aquaboy deluxe and a few spare 3k5 laying around. I was just over the moon about this one because of it's condition. I popped the hood and verified it has 3005. Presently powering with a 9v battery. Have tried with my regulated supply as well. It may just be a trim adjiustment or two, but I'd rather not fail and make it worse. The guy wrote in the post that he purchased it, used once, and boxed it. I suppose I'll try and file a claim...

Stomptown

It should be pretty easy to get your money back but you may end up having to pay for return shipping. My understading it that you can return pretty much anything for any reason within 6 months of purchase, which has made if very difficult for small time sellers and has basically scared me out of selling on ebay. 

Luke51411

Quote from: Stomptown on May 21, 2015, 05:50:33 PM
It should be pretty easy to get your money back but you may end up having to pay for return shipping. My understading it that you can return pretty much anything for any reason within 6 months of purchase, which has made if very difficult for small time sellers and has basically scared me out of selling on ebay.
You probably won't even have to pay shipping, I mean the item is "not as described" if I understand correctly.

jimilee

Quote from: HamSandwich on May 21, 2015, 05:00:54 PM
Quote from: jimilee on May 21, 2015, 03:35:33 PM

An MN3005 delay for a lot less than $100? You could maybe sneak in just around $100 if you have a lot of the stuff to make a complete pedal already.
oh, that fx90, I totally spaced on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

ggarms

I received my first reply from the fellow, he seems definitely interested in getting it resolved. He suggested electronics cleaner etc.... and offered a return if that doesn't work. I told him I have some pedal experience and could try to troubleshoot, however I wouldn't want to affect my ability to return if I cannot return it to working order/ made it worse off. We shall see what he says. Thanks for the feedback (pun intended) fellas.