News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

drilled enclosures at madbean

Started by add4, February 12, 2016, 08:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

add4

I  don't know about you guys, but i myself would love to be able to buy the enclosure with the required drilling, with the pcb of a project. i don't have a lot of free time these days, and i can't drill at home anymore (my building time is when the kids sleep, next room). So when a project requires an unusual drilling template, i have to take the measurements from the pcb, put it on a template, send it to pedalpartsplus, pay huge fees in transportation, ...

it would be so much easier if i could buy the enclosure directly from madbean. who would maybe order a certain amount to pedal part plus, have a price on that, and sell these to us at a reasonable price.

what do you think of it?
am i alone in this situation
i totally understand that stocking enclosures is not the same as stocking pcbs, so maybe it's just not possible for practical reasons :)

midwayfair

This sounds incredibly expensive and time consuming to perform and maintain for Mr. Bean and frankly not useful for the large number of people who have their own potentiometer placement and hardware component choices.

selfdestroyer

I agree with Jon on this, on paper it sounds like a good idea but in all honestly its just way to expensive and time consuming. What about a Harbor Freight stepper drill bit and a hand drill in your car and just do it at work or a buddies house. When I drill enclosures, I usually do 3 or 4 at a time to make the bench clean up worth it. lol

Cody

EBRAddict

Nobody wants to camp on an inventory of pre-drilled enclosures; to do them one-off I think he'd have to charge (at least) as much as PPP to make it worth his time.

matmosphere

Mammoth sells drilled enclosures. They might be an option and if things don't line up you can just do of board pots. Might be an option.

davent

A cordless drill and step outside for a couple minutes, even in the dead of winter no big deal.

A cordless makes so little noise you may get away with it inside your abode.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

wgc

I think smallbear or general guitar gadgets sell kits like you describe.

I had basically the same issue with sleeping kids, stepped bit and hand drill made it all possible, so that's some good advice
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

mrclean77

Would it be convenient as heck and would I love it?
Absolutely!

Do I want the Bean to take time away from the other coolness he does for this?
No. Way.

flanagan0718

Pedal Parts Plus sells drilled / Powder coated enclosures too.

culturejam

Quote from: flanagan0718 on February 13, 2016, 01:38:26 AM

Yeah, but they won't match up with the drill templates on MB projects. Or, you can pay them big bucks to do a 3/4-assed job.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

madbean

This is simply not possible for a one-person operation. Just as an example, check out the huge CNC BYOC uses to do their enclosures (there is a video on youTube). You are talking many thousands of $$ investment on something that is going to have very little return in profit, to be blunt about it.

PS: not that everything I choose to do for MBP is driven by the bottom line...but it's a whole different ballpark when you are doing a task that requires a few hours vs. something that requires hundreds of man-hours to accomplish.

matmosphere

It would take so long just to earn back the investment in the equipment alone.

flanagan0718

Quote from: culturejam on February 13, 2016, 09:18:51 PM
Quote from: flanagan0718 on February 13, 2016, 01:38:26 AM

Yeah, but they won't match up with the drill templates on MB projects. Or, you can pay them big bucks to do a 3/4-assed job.  ;D

HAHAHA! Yeah I heard they've been spotty lately.

madbean

All this being said, I still do plan to offer some component-level kits in the future. May not be for quite a while but I think it will happen eventually. I do not foresee full kits/enclosures a la BYOC et al. ever happening, though. Who knows...I am in this for the long haul and there is a good 20 years before I retire :)