News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

WHY A10K vs B10K?!?!?!?!?

Started by darko28064212, February 13, 2016, 07:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darko28064212

hello all,

this is in regards to my love squeeze clone build, but i also feel its vague enough to shed light on why we would choose B10K pots over A10K pots and vice versa. I was under the assumption that i was supposed to use B10K (linear) pots. but recently i was pointed towards the "Rotten Comp" PCB which is modeled after the love squeeze.

PCB and BOM for the Rotten Comp by GCFX:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28586266/GCFX%20Build%20Docs/RottenKompBuildDoc.pdf

this is the first time ive seen real directions for A10K (audio) pots being used for the build. why audio pots? wouldnt you want your controls from 0-10 on the knob? im questioning my understanding of the difference between these 2 choices. please help?

stecykmi

I haven't built myself but it should just change the feel of the control. you would have finer control over the comp setting with high compression settings and courser control with low compression settings. so it could help you dial in the sound if you like to use high compression settings. they should operate identically otherwise and you could sub b10k if thats all you had.

darko28064212

ok i think i understand, because of the "taper line" of a linear pot is straight kind of like a 1:1 ratio increase vs an audio pot you get more detailed control because the ratio represents something more like 5:1 ratio increase followed by a 1:2 ratio after the threshold is passed. creating a concave curve? after the pot "opens up" it exponentially increases requiring less of turn on the dial to fine tune it?

midwayfair

Try both on the breadboard and see what happens.

Muadzin

I'm a big fan of linear over log for volume knobs. Any time I see log being called for I automatically sub in a linear pot instead. When I notice unity gain then sits around 12:00 I know I made the right choice. If it then sits around 9:00 or 10:00 only then do I sub it for a log pot. Which is usually almost never the case. I have a Love Squeeze pedal and I was foolish enough to use a log pot for volume. I hate the spread of it, I still have to get around to putting a linear pot in there instead.

darko28064212

Quote from: Muadzin on February 14, 2016, 11:42:59 AM
I'm a big fan of linear over log for volume knobs. Any time I see log being called for I automatically sub in a linear pot instead. When I notice unity gain then sits around 12:00 I know I made the right choice. If it then sits around 9:00 or 10:00 only then do I sub it for a log pot. Which is usually almost never the case. I have a Love Squeeze pedal and I was foolish enough to use a log pot for volume. I hate the spread of it, I still have to get around to putting a linear pot in there instead.

Awesome! looking at the sabrotone website where i found my vero layout for the love squeeze, there are about 8 comments from various people that have built the compressor but no one states what kind of pots should be used. i feel like i understand it much better now, and i can see where a linear pot for a volume control makes sense. im gonna have to agree with midwayfair too about breadboarding the design. i just have to buy the components before i can move forward. and I dont want to buy the wrong components and end up SOL for my project. (building this for a final in college) thanks for all the help!

lightsoundgeometry

I have been using C or reverse pots with good results in my pedals.