News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

2016 Shipping Rates

Started by madbean, January 19, 2016, 08:50:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

USPS has unloaded their latest shipping rate increase.

Good News: For US customers, there is only a nominal price increase on 1st Class shipping.
Bad News: They have really f-d international 1st Class rates. 1st Class rates have doubled in some cases, no joke.

So, what I have done is increase the range of "Flats" shipments to keep small orders from costing an arm and leg to ship (Flats only have a nominal price increase like USA 1st Class). 1st Class international is now $13 (up from $6.50-9.00) and Canada is $9 (up from $7.00)! And the Priority shipping has gone way up too. $32 int'l and $24 Canada.

Please see the new rates I have posted on the Projects Page. For International and Canadian customers - if you have a big batch of boards you want to order, feel free to break it into two smaller orders if you can get the "Flats" rate to save some $$ on postage.

kgull

PSA for anyone else shipping anything these days: definitely check the postage costs yourself. Never trust the person behind the counter to get you the best deal. Also, while flat-rate boxes are convenient, they're often not the cheapest way to go.

When I ship boards I'll usually just cover the edges of a pcb, tape it inside of a letter envelope, write DONOTBEND and slap a $0.71 stamp on it (2 if it's international). Only had a couple of issues with that. Flats are definitely more reliable but even before the rate increase they are comparatively pricey.

Here's the USPS price list for every type of package conceivable. The quick references start on page 64.

Govmnt_Lacky

Just finished shipping a Flat Rate box this morning. Price went up $1.20 over the old price AND... there is no more discount if you purchase the label at USPS.com. I was told, by the nice old lady at the post office, that some of the increases were due to people shipping large packages but, selecting cheaper options online for the shipping label. The USPS doesn't have time to scrutinize all shipments so people were literally stealing from the post office.

So, if you think about it... now it is MORE expensive to print and ship online because you are not only paying full price but, you are also using your own ink/toner and paper to make the label  :o

jtaormina

I shipped a couple letters US -outbound international with a board inside and filled out the small customs form. Do you guys also do that? The idiots at the post office have me totally confused. I've had 4 people (one from customer international service) "not sure" if the form is needed for a letter with an "object" inside. Wtf. USPS is so frustrating. I do it anyway and get a tracking number and every time it stops tracking.

kgull

Quote from: jtaormina on January 20, 2016, 12:32:22 PM
I shipped a couple letters US -outbound international with a board inside and filled out the small customs form. Do you guys also do that? The idiots at the post office have me totally confused. I've had 4 people (one from customer international service) "not sure" if the form is needed for a letter with an "object" inside. Wtf. USPS is so frustrating. I do it anyway and get a tracking number and every time it stops tracking.
Technically I think you are supposed to fill out a customs form for letters that don't contain "only documents" but I've never had issues for that. For international, I've just been slapping $1.42 on an envelope and putting it in a postbox.

pickdropper

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on January 20, 2016, 09:18:45 AM

So, if you think about it... now it is MORE expensive to print and ship online because you are not only paying full price but, you are also using your own ink/toner and paper to make the label  :o

True, but there is some value in being able to get it setup at home and just dropping it off.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

culturejam

On the plus side, First Class weight now extends up to 16oz (from 13oz). This means a whole lot of pedals can ship at much lower prices.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

EBRAddict

Quote from: pickdropper on January 20, 2016, 01:45:03 PMTrue, but there is some value in being able to get it setup at home and just dropping it off.

Not having to wait in line behind a bunch of unprepared/clueless/indecisive people at the post office is priceless.

alanp

Quote from: EBRAddict on January 20, 2016, 02:05:56 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on January 20, 2016, 01:45:03 PMTrue, but there is some value in being able to get it setup at home and just dropping it off.

Not having to wait in line behind a bunch of unprepared/clueless/indecisive people at the post office is priceless.

The NZ Post Office also allows people to pay their bills (power, phone, etc) there as well with their EFTPOS card or what have you, so it's even worse here.

The post office also handles Kiwibank transactions, so you have to wait for THEM as well.

These days, I just quietly buy stamps and drop envelopes off in the post without saying anything.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: EBRAddict on January 20, 2016, 02:05:56 PM

That is the truth BUT.... does your post office have a drop-off box for packages or a line cut system? When I go to drop off at my local PO there is always a line, with one person working, and I have to wait in line just to drop off. So, there is no real gain for me as I can just wrap and tape while in line  :-\

madbean

Quote from: culturejam on January 20, 2016, 02:05:38 PM
On the plus side, First Class weight now extends up to 16oz (from 13oz). This means a whole lot of pedals can ship at much lower prices.

Yeah I noticed that. In some ways the pricing is beneficial, but there's still a lot of sticker shock for international :( It was only a few years ago you could ship a 2oz package regular 1st Class almost anywhere for like $3 or $4.

peAk

So oil has went from $120 a barrel to about $26 a barrel in about 14 months

But for some reason, USPS, UPS, Fed Ex, etc. haven't dropped their prices.

Unbelievable

You would think the consumers would start seeing some of these savings past down but it doesn't happen.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: peAk on January 21, 2016, 06:20:16 AM
But for some reason, USPS, UPS, Fed Ex, etc. haven't dropped their prices.

They not only didn't drop their prices... they INCREASED them... especially for packages.

Like I said, they increased the price for shipping packages AND they removed the online discount. Example:

I used to be able to ship Flat Rate Medium for $11.35 after discount online. Price at PO was $12.45

Now, the price online AND at the PO is $13.45  :-\

madbean

If you do lots of shipping then Endicia is a big help. You have to pay for it ($10/month) but you also get commercial rate discounts. Plus, it does all the work for you in filling out Customs forms.

EBRAddict

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on January 21, 2016, 06:41:45 AM
They not only didn't drop their prices... they INCREASED them... especially for packages.

There's a lot of forces at work besides fuel cost. Increased package volume demand due to online shopping, insurance fraud, aging workforce, equipment/IT/infrastructure costs, exponentially increasing cost of injury accidents and associated litigation.

More specifically the USPS itself faces some unique pension funding challenges. Congress decided that it was never going to bail out the post office and decreed USPS must fully fund its retiree pension obligations. Other common carriers don't have that requirement.