News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Accidentally bought 10%, instead of 5%, for 3n3. Are they usable?

Started by dont-tase-me-bro, January 23, 2016, 03:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dont-tase-me-bro

Putting away my last mouser order and noticed I ordered 10%, instead of 5% for 3n3.  Are 10% usable for pedals?

Thanks,
Pat
I thought this would save me money.

Jebus

Yeah, I would used those without any hesitation. Of course if you have capacitance meter (or DMM with the function) you can measure them and see if there's some that are way off. Still, maximum difference would be +-0,33 nF.

I bet you don't notice any difference. :)

dont-tase-me-bro

Thank you.  I wasn't sure if that extra five can cause any problems. 

madbean

I have both tolerances in all my film caps and I never give a second thought to it. Only in rare cases I might check the actual capacitance reading if it is something I think is critical. You are fine!

dont-tase-me-bro

Thanks bean.  With two feet of snow on the ground, I spent some time cleaning up my inventory today.  I freaked when I saw the tolerance on the bag.  Good to know they're ok

benlanc

Quote from: Jebus on January 23, 2016, 04:03:19 PM
Yeah, I would used those without any hesitation. Of course if you have capacitance meter (or DMM with the function) you can measure them and see if there's some that are way off. Still, maximum difference would be +-0,33 nF.

Even then, a DMM's capacitance meter is probably ±10%, if not more

pickdropper

+/-10% is fine.

Believe it or not, some ceramic caps have a +80/-20% tolerance.  Those you might want to avoid.  ;-)
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Jebus

Quote from: benlanc on January 24, 2016, 05:29:10 AM
Even then, a DMM's capacitance meter is probably ±10%, if not more

Depends on the meter and the range a lot. We have Fluke 79s in the laboratory and those are under +-2% (cant remember the exact number, its 1,7 or 1,9) with film capacitors in nF range. :)