News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dear Madbean, I never thought this would happen to me, but...

Started by icecycle66, January 26, 2016, 01:15:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

icecycle66

today I socketed a socket.

I always thought these forum stories were wild fantasies of deranged solder monkeys high on their own lead filled fumes.
But no crap, there I was socketing a socket.

madbean

Well, did you at least solder the socket to the socket? Cause that's how you win.

matmosphere

AntKnee

I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

Scruffie

I did that once... I lost my wife, my job, all I could do was try and fit sockets in to eachother but they never slotted my heart together! *sobs*
Works at Lectric-FX

jtaormina

I hope you put a socket condom on it. Never know, ya know.   ???

nzCdog

Jabulani Jonny

See, I heard that's where the tone comes from.  It's the second socket that does it.  Oh and card tables. 
Jonathan

Haberdasher

Nice going!  Once you go double socket, you never go back.  Unless you need the clearance.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

diablochris6

Don't you know what it means to become a double-socket guy? It changes everything. I'd have to dress different. I'd have to act different. I'd have to grow a moustache and get all kinds of robes and lotions and I'd need a new bedspread and new curtains I'd have to get thick carpeting and weirdo lighting. I'd have to get new friends. I'd have to get double-socket friends. ... No, I'm not ready for it.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

alanp

Maybe I'm being lazy, but why would you bother doing that?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

lightsoundgeometry

icecycle66

Quote from: alanp on January 26, 2016, 04:19:23 AM
Maybe I'm being lazy, but why would you bother doing that?

I needed to solder two legs of the IC together.
It's a semi-rare IC so I didn't want to mess with it.
Also since it's semi-rare I already had the socket in.
So I just soldered the legs of the second socket together.
We didn't know the legs needed to be soldered together until after the board was populated.

lincolnic

Quote from: diablochris6 on January 26, 2016, 04:05:59 AM
Don't you know what it means to become a double-socket guy? It changes everything. I'd have to dress different. I'd have to act different. I'd have to grow a moustache and get all kinds of robes and lotions and I'd need a new bedspread and new curtains I'd have to get thick carpeting and weirdo lighting. I'd have to get new friends. I'd have to get double-socket friends. ... No, I'm not ready for it.

This is my favorite post of the past month.

alanp

Huh. Would have been easier to deliberately create a solder bridge on the bottom of the board (where the original socket is soldered in.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website