News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

My noob issue is the shopping part

Started by mark123, January 27, 2016, 05:22:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark123

When I'm putting together a schematic I can make it look nice and correct and it checks out electrically but then when I want to lay out the PCB I have to make sure I choose the correct footprint.  Shopping for components is also confusing.

I think the issue is I don't know how to differentiate between the different parts of the same value.  I guess in Eagle it's called "package".

Is there a tutorial concerning choosing the package for the PCB layout and shopping for the components? 

selfdestroyer

Each package in eagle should have properties that should show lead spacing and package size. Is that what your needing.

Cody

mark123

Quote from: selfdestroyer on January 27, 2016, 12:54:41 PM
Each package in eagle should have properties that should show lead spacing and package size. Is that what your needing.
I just don't know why to choose something like "R01005" instead of "R0204".  Right now I'm just placing the proper symbols on the schematic.

mark123

Also, when I look at a finished schematic I suppose I could just type the package number into a search but then I get thousands of choices. I guess I'm asking if there is a better and more efficient way to go about both choosing and shopping for components.

mark123

I think I'm asking this question in a very confusing way. To clarify, are there general guidelines to choosing a type of capacitor beyond the available capacitance values and voltage ratings? 

Are there brands to avoid, or brands to choose even if more expensive?

Transistors/MOSFET/JFET anything to avoid or are they all pretty much the same quality?

Jebus

Quote from: mark123 on January 28, 2016, 07:10:49 PM
I think I'm asking this question in a very confusing way. To clarify, are there general guidelines to choosing a type of capacitor beyond the available capacitance values and voltage ratings? 

Are there brands to avoid, or brands to choose even if more expensive?

Transistors/MOSFET/JFET anything to avoid or are they all pretty much the same quality?

Physical size should be considered (especially terminal spacing which is usually 2,5mm or 5mm) just to know that it will fit the board and the enclosure.

I've been using lots of different brands without any problems. Nowadays mostly set on MKT -capacitors for film foil. For electrolytics and ceramic I have couple different brands and some OEM stuff from the dealer.  :)

I haven't hear about any quality differences between semiconductor manufacturers. As long as they are not fake stuff (sometimes happens with chinese companies in eBay..).

alanp

Quote from: mark123 on January 27, 2016, 06:22:59 PM
Quote from: selfdestroyer on January 27, 2016, 12:54:41 PM
I just don't know why to choose something like "R01005" instead of "R0204".  Right now I'm just placing the proper symbols on the schematic.

R0204 and R01005 sound like SMD package codes, to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-mount_technology#Packages

I strongly advise you to pick up a copy of Mad Bean's Eagle libraries, they have only the parts you want to use, no extra SMD parts :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

mark123

Quote from: alanp on January 29, 2016, 08:27:16 AM... I strongly advise you to pick up a copy of Mad Bean's Eagle libraries, they have only the parts you want to use, no extra SMD parts :)
Yes, I definitely use the Mad Bean Eagle libraries.  It's saved me a lot of confusion.  :)

mark123

My solution was to just jump in and build something. Got some PCBs from OSHpark and I may have made some mistakes but that's how you learn. :)

daleykd

If you ever have questions about what to normally use in regards to parts/packages, let me/us know.

I find that I, personally, use R0207/3 for resistors, 072X025 for MOST film box caps, etc.

lightsoundgeometry

i still cant shop at mouser lol ..you need a  physics major and a EE doctorate to buy there ..lol

someone needs to do a mouser shopping tutorial

mark123

Quote from: lightsoundgeometry on February 26, 2016, 06:31:45 AM
i still cant shop at mouser lol ..you need a  physics major and a EE doctorate to buy there ..lol

someone needs to do a mouser shopping tutorial
HAHA!  :D 

I have 5 builds under my belt so far, I just winged it.  Made a few mistakes like buying a bunch of capacitors that each one would take up all the space in the enclosure I wanted to use. LOL!!