News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Lonestar amp switch

Started by gtr2, June 30, 2011, 07:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtr2

A simple "free labor" switch build for my friends Mesa Lonestar.  The original footswitch is HUGE and this will save a little space.  I hope he likes it!

Josh

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

TheCobbenator

Love it! I have my channel selector wired in a 1590a for my Mesa Stiletto.  I originally wired it for my Orange AD30, but redid it for the mesa. This makes me think I should make it like this so I can use my solo boost... idk if  care though ;)

nzCdog

dbharris

That looks great!  I have the same amp, I am planning on doing up a switch in a 125B with a second jack and third switch to control the reverb too.  The only different thing I was considering doing was replacing the red channel LED with a red/green dual LED.  So that on the clean channel the switch LED would match the amp panel LED.  I'm not sure if current flows down that line to light the LED in that state of switching, so I guess I will just have to do some good old trial and error.

gtr2

My friends is an earlier model that does not have a footswitchable reverb.  You can't put a dual color led without adding a separate battery/power supply.  The LED is set up to power in series when the circuit is closed via the switch.  You'd have to take the led's out of series with the amps power and use a dpdt switch.  Also you'd need to make sure the led's circuit does not ground to the ring of the jack via the enclosure or you'd possibly trip the relay in the amp for the switching action.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

dbharris

Thanks for the infos, I kinda figured it probably would not work they way I hoped.  It's no big deal to have the normal LED scheme.  I usually have the two channels set so different you don't really need an LED anyways to know which is active.  Now I don't have to waste time trying something that wont work. 

-Dan

gtr2

No problem.  FWIW I did build a switch for my mesa dual rec when I had it.  I did the dual color led thing with a separate power supply it worked out pretty well.  It was a bit overkill though.  I think I would know when it went from shimmering clean to peal the paint gain.  ;D

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer