News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dual Sabertooth

Started by gmr1, July 04, 2011, 07:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmr1

I wanted a new bass fuzz for awhile, so I got some boards from Brian, and this is what I came up with:

Dual Sabertooth! I don't know why two. Just wanted to. It's kinda fun to have 2 settings. I prob. should have went with a bypass footswitch, and one that toggles between the 2 circuits, as I can't even see turning both on at once. It's nuts.

No stand-off holes in his boards, So I just used thick lead wire, and sort of did a pseudo-board mounted pot kinda thing. Between the pots, and the led, the boards aren't moving.

nzCdog

Hey... nice job gmr1! :)
The gold enclosure looks really nice... though for some reason I now feel like chocolate. ;)
Very tidy build, where did you get the battery holder?

vinnie

Very nice gmr1!! even with the battery clip, it is very professional, love the way you have aligned the knobs.

Is the enclosure from pedal parts plus? if so which color is it? it is really nice.

Cheers!

gmr1

thanks!

the battery clip is from mouser. I use a piece of 3M doublesided foam tape on the base of it, and that keeps it held in really well - esp. since the backplate pushes against it a bit when screwed on. Keystone makes them. IIRC, Small Bear carries them as well.

The gold box is from PPP. I believe it's called "18 Karat Gold". It looks pretty much like the Analogman Sunface/Sunlion box color to me.

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

dwstanford

It looks so peaceful just sitting there.  The Siamese Sabertooth.  What a rare beast indeed!  Did you excavate that pedal from a chunck of prehistoric amber?  Looks great.  I once believed you could never have enough fuzz, but it seems you have cultivated a specimen that negates that entire philosophy.  I bet if you turned both of them on cranked, your amp would fucking explode. (try it and let me know what happens  8) ) The unity gain on mine is below 9:00, and that's just one of them.  Clean build and cool look.  I can imagine some poor dumb unsuspecting bastard just strolling through the jungle and being torn to bits by this thing.  A++ for taking fuzz where no one else would dare.  ;D ;D ;D

gmr1

By excavating from prehistoric amber, do you mean did I build it in my basement from parts removed from neatly organized parts bins? If so - yes! that's exactly what I did.  ;D

bigmufffuzzwizz

That look fantastic! I really like your knob layout. I've found that if you run the wires along the bottom of the pcb like you did they will hold the board in place like your saying. I've done this on many builds without any problems so far...
I can totally see a use for 2 of those in one box, two complete different settings. One could be booomy wooly ass bass and the other side grindy/(maybe glitchy/synthy) tear your face apart and fuzz you up! You could probably dial the fuzz down and use one side for a sort of tone shaping.
If you can't tell I'm really into this build... :)
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

Seiche

Wooly Duper! Looks awesome!

i didn't get that part with the Battery Snap. How did you manage to keep it there without coming off when you take out the battery? I tried it with super glue but that stuff doesn't stick to the aluminum of the enclosure very well. So the snap breaks off when i change the batt for the 3rd or 4th time.

gmr1

3M double sided foam tape. It's really strong. works great.

gmr1

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on July 07, 2011, 08:48:50 AM
I can totally see a use for 2 of those in one box, two complete different settings. One could be booomy wooly ass bass and the other side grindy/(maybe glitchy/synthy) tear your face apart and fuzz you up! You could probably dial the fuzz down and use one side for a sort of tone shaping.
If you can't tell I'm really into this build... :)

You got it. I used it at a rehearsal, and had one side trebley and glitchy, and the other side as bass nastiness. Worked out well. It's a loud circuit. unity gain is at about 9 o'clock! I'm glad to have 2 dedicated channel switches, and not 1 footswitch that toggles between them as I originally thought about. I never switch fuzz tones mid song, so it's just as easy this way.

pandadandan

What size is the box?  Looks supercool by the way.

gmr1

Quote from: pandadandan on July 07, 2011, 09:10:26 PM
What size is the box?  Looks supercool by the way.

1590BB I believe they call them these days. Thanks!