News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

reccomend me a project: analog octave down!

Started by the3secondrule, February 17, 2016, 12:30:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muadzin

Quote from: Matmosphere on February 18, 2016, 06:51:33 AM
I was just watching I Dream Of Wires the other day. There were a lot of good quotes about guitarist being the only people who are perfectly content using 50-60 year old technology. Interesting stuff, made me want to get into Euro rack stuff.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if it were up to guitarists we still wouldn't have invented fire. Or the wheel. In our chosen field we're so arch conservative we make Tea Party republicans look enlightened by comparison.

QuoteI will say though that the guitarist in my band has a micro pig and I thought it sounded  very unnatural, but when he used it during a song and it was just in the mix it sounded great and cut through really well. Sometimes that artificial sound that digital effects have gets lost in the mix and those effects work better than I thought they would.

Too many guitarists make the mistake of confusing ideal guitar tone on their own as being just as well suited to be in a band mix. It really does require a whole new way of thinking. Even more so when you're not the only guitarist in a band.

As for digital sounding artificial, I just don't hear it. In this case I only hear a perfect octave down with none of that glitching and crappy tracking. If that sound artificial then I'll take that any day all the time over that socalled glitchy shitty all over the place analog rubbish.

dropanchor812

You should PM DiabloChris6- I'm pretty sure he had a OSHpark project for a chopped OC-2.   

EDIT:  Here it is- https://oshpark.com/profiles/DiabloChris6/page/2

the3secondrule

Quote from: Muadzin on February 18, 2016, 05:11:52 AM
Quote from: the3secondrule on February 17, 2016, 12:06:23 PM
Interesting. I remember being rather underwhelmed with the uBoat, I thought the lowrider produced a much better low octave. Perhaps I need to revisit it

And I already have an EHX pitchfork, but I'd prefer something analog

I really don't get the obsession some people have with analog. You have a superior product but you want an inferior one just because the Pitchfork is digital? There is not a single analog octaver out there that will come close to the tracking of the digital octavers. But if you're so dead set on getting an analog one I'm more then willing to relieve you off your Pitchfork if you want to get rid of it.  ;) make me an offer

Haha, yeah the Pitchfork is up for grabs if you want :)

As above, I like the sound of the OC2 and lowrider, I just wanted a slightly smaller project. The chopped OC2 fits the bill, so I'm going to have a crack at it.
I like the sound and the limitations of the analog octavers, what I didn't like about the uBoat was the handling/string noise, and a clicking sound that change rate dependent on what note was played. I saw a few others had this issue as well and I didn't think it had be resolved.
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

blearyeyes

If your serious regarding the Pitchfork I'll take it. I can't get mine off of my sons pedal board....

brucer

Quote from: dropanchor812 on February 18, 2016, 10:01:35 AM
You should PM DiabloChris6- I'm pretty sure he had a OSHpark project for a chopped OC-2.   

EDIT:  Here it is- https://oshpark.com/profiles/DiabloChris6/page/2

This looks like good project, but maybe 125B rather than 1590B?  PM sent to DiabloChris6 to see if it's verified and whether there's a BOM and wiring guide.