News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

FAD - Champ

Started by madbean, February 17, 2016, 07:24:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

Fixed Amp Day. After being broken for over a year I finally got the Silverface Champ fixed. I blew this puppy up pretty good a while ago. Pop, smoke, burning smell. I kept putting off dealing with it with the thought that I should be able to fix it myself. But, fixing something is quite a bit different than diagnosing the problem so I took it to a repair shop in Nashville. I'm glad I did because there were quite a few issues. Finally diagnosis - too much B+ blew the power tube. So, the dudes at Nashville Amplifier Service did the following:

Dropped B+ a bit, replaced the tube, replaced the tube sockets (really loose), filter recap, removed the death cap (was still there for some reason despite having a three prong), new fuse. Now she sounds as good as ever! Unfortunately, the total repair cost was more than I paid for the amp but my total investment now is on par with a perfectly working 70's era Champ so I'm cool with it (I got it cheap to begin with). Plus, I will never sell it. Only drag is the dead OS Ratheon tube. Sorry bro.

The Champ is pretty near perfect as a test amp for pedal designs, IMO. I'm so glad to have it back! And, the NAS guys were really great, too. Very friendly and knowledgeable.

pryde

Awesome Brian. I have repaired many of these awesome little guys. They are always a worthy investment.
I would be curious what the total bill was for you. I like to know these things to help me better price my services (although I understand location is a big factor here).

flanagan0718

Nice. I've always liked Fender Amps. They have great verb and clean tones. Thinking i might start looking for one of these!

madbean

Quote from: pryde on February 17, 2016, 07:31:47 AM
Awesome Brian. I have repaired many of these awesome little guys. They are always a worthy investment.
I would be curious what the total bill was for you. I like to know these things to help me better price my services (although I understand location is a big factor here).

It was $288. Their bench charge is $80/hr with 2.25 hrs charged for diagnosis and repair, plus parts, etc. Kinda spendy but not unreasonable. I paid only $200 for the amp to begin with.

madbean

Also, the entire bill was itemized with the cost of each part (plus the tax).

peAk

Pryde helped me with my 70's (Vibro) Champ a while back. Thing has worked awesome ever since

Thanks again man!!

pryde

Quote from: madbean on February 17, 2016, 08:04:25 AM

It was $288. Their bench charge is $80/hr with 2.25 hrs charged for diagnosis and repair, plus parts, etc. Kinda spendy but not unreasonable. I paid only $200 for the amp to begin with.

That doesn't seam unreasonable being in the Nashville area. I do $60 per hour in my area + parts and tax. I also pickup repairs for a couple local music shops but they get a discount per volume.

Martan

Those old champ/vibrochamps are great for playing at "conversation" volume with great tube warmth. I use to keep mine hidden next to the couch in our living room with a reverb pedal and light OD.

I would definitely destroy mine if I used it at the test bench. Too many pops and crazy sounds out of my builds😀. You are a brave man.

culturejam

Nice to see a vintage piece back in action. :)
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Haberdasher

It is the perfect amp for singin' songs about the trials & tribulations of garage-band husbandry.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

selfdestroyer

I have a soft spot for drip edge/silverface anything.. Really awesome you decided to drop some money on it and get it going again.

Cody

matmosphere

Quote from: Haberdasher on February 17, 2016, 02:20:29 PM
It is the perfect amp for singin' songs about the trials & tribulations of garage-band husbandry.

Hahaha, those are great little amps.

AntKnee

Quote from: Haberdasher on February 17, 2016, 02:20:29 PM

Amen, brother!
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

nzCdog

Yay.  Worth it for sure, that's a special amp

alanp

Good stuff :) it amazes me how cheap gear is in the USA.

I was using a cheap Marshall MG15CD for a bench test amp for awhile, on the basis of I didn't really give a crap if something awful happened to it. Plus if something sounded not entirely awful through it (as opposed to pure meh), it was generally a good indicator that it would be a wee ripper on the 2204 amp.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website