News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Socket PCB Mudbunny

Started by K3yPr0gg3r, February 22, 2016, 08:09:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

K3yPr0gg3r

Hi,

Within the notes section of the build guide information for Mudbunny, it states that a good alternative is "socketing" most of the pads on the PCB to enable one to easily swap out different values and component types to adjust the tone. This makes sense, however, to a beginner I need to know IF all components have the ability to be socketed, what type of sockets to purchase, and if I just place the sockets, (following the build guide), as I would if I was using "set" values / components?

Thank you

selfdestroyer

Quote from: K3yPr0gg3r on February 22, 2016, 08:09:06 AM
Hi,

Within the notes section of the build guide information for Mudbunny, it states that a good alternative is "socketing" most of the pads on the PCB to enable one to easily swap out different values and component types to adjust the tone. This makes sense, however, to a beginner I need to know IF all components have the ability to be socketed, what type of sockets to purchase, and if I just place the sockets, (following the build guide), as I would if I was using "set" values / components?

Thank you

I did that a while back and it was fun to build different variants. The only problem I found was once you use the sockets a few times, parts will slip in a out easily. Its not a deal breaker but It something to remember when you flip the PCB over and some of your parts fall out. You do not "need" to socket them all, you could just compare the BOMs of each variants and see what parts change and socket just those. Hope this helps.

Cody

EBRAddict

jimilee

Or just build a bunch of them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

K3yPr0gg3r

Thank you everyone! I want to build the "Ram's Head" first. Again, this is one of my first builds so I'm switching out the 2n5088 for a BC550, and the 1n914 for either a 1n270 or 1n34a (not sure if I want to go with a glass component.) Anyone see a problem with my decisions? Also, going to put germaniums in D3/D4 to get the octave effect. I'll be buying a few PCBs next Monday!