Main Menu

Wiring for a fuzz factory on verboard

Started by JackSkellington, February 18, 2016, 09:28:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackSkellington

Hi guys.
Unfortunately I need some help, again.
I built a Fuzz Factory circuit using the veroboard layout of tagboard:

I tested it, and it seems work well, except for a detail.
If I put all the ground, the negative from the DC jack, the ground wire from the board, and the two ground wires from the volume and gate pot all together on the input sleeve I can't set the drive pot at max, because I got much noise, and I even can't set to zero the volume and the tone pot of my guitar because the noise become a squeal.
I can solve this issue if I separe the two ground from the pots from the other ground and connect them on the sleeve of the output.
Anyway, also in this case I got a sort of noisy squealing whistle.

For having no noise I have slightly low the drive.

I don't know why this happends. I would build this circuit perfectly.

I'm using the madbeanpedals wiring, and just the grounds are not soldered.

Thank you!
«Just because I cannot see it doesn't mean I can't believe it»

kgull

Sounds like you may have a ground loop issue but it's hard to say. The fuzz factory can be an EXTREMELY finicky circuit. It's basically designed to have certain settings that are unusable.

JackSkellington

My best is to keep separate the ground wires from the pots and used a 100uF polarized cap between 9v ang ground to reduce some squeals.
I could insert a second polarized cap, I tried a 3.3uF between the lug 3 of the comp and ground. Alse this help to reduce the squeal.

But if I want to play without noise I have to set the drive at maximum 9/10.

Thanks!

Waiting for further suggestions.

JackSkellington

I would ask about this ground loop. Is it something wrong about the layout? Or my grounds connection? My psu? (it is a Boss 9v).
Seems to me there are not a way to connect the grounds without noise with drive to max. :(
This is very sad for me.

I tried, like I somebody else had did, to connect the ground from the pots to the ground row on the board. But nothing change. I can't explain this.
I'm using for this ground the test lead and the box is still open. But seems to me too much hoping I can solve this issue closing the box.

PS I changed, when the problem there were already, the stab pot wiring (that was reverse), the wiring of the gate, and the connection of the drive and comp between them, following some schematics, apparently more "true". Except for the stab pot I got no changing.
I replaced the 100R resistor with a jumper.