News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Gravity Wave (Verified)

Started by selfdestroyer, February 22, 2016, 02:18:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo

Yeah ditto on that.  The drilling is a breeze.  I use the aquarium air pump from my etching rig to blow a stream of air across the board to get rid of the little piles of board material.  Not at all necessary but one of those little tricks to make the process less annoying.  I bought a bunch of drill bits from a hobby shop that were cheap but don't last all that long.  The only part of the process I hate is cutting the pcb board itself and having to deal with FeCl, which I invariably manage to get on something it's not supposed to be on.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

gül

Quote from: alparent on February 23, 2016, 10:21:38 AM
What are you using? With the right tools......it takes the time it takes......but it's not that bad.

I use the Dremel drill press, along with a Dirt Devil Scorpion hand vac to suck up the toxic dust. I'm nearly blind in my left eye so it's a real PITA for me to look at all those tiny dots. Eventually I will probably try to figure out a way to mount the magnifying glass from my third hand tool onto the Dremel drill press... Or just buy a new left eye.  ;)

alparent

Aquarium pump! Nifty, never occurred to me.
I have air blowing but from my big air compressor. Drill my boards with ear plugs because of the compressor's noise (and can't do it when kids are sleeping) But this air pump trick is great.
I'm French.......sorry for my bad Englishhhhhhh.

alparent

Quote from: aishabag on February 24, 2016, 10:36:47 AM
Quote from: alparent on February 23, 2016, 10:21:38 AM
What are you using? With the right tools......it takes the time it takes......but it's not that bad.

I use the Dremel drill press, along with a Dirt Devil Scorpion hand vac to suck up the toxic dust. I'm nearly blind in my left eye so it's a real PITA for me to look at all those tiny dots. Eventually I will probably try to figure out a way to mount the magnifying glass from my third hand tool onto the Dremel drill press... Or just buy a new left eye.  ;)

I'm getting older and I couldn't do electronics if I didn't have these.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-Headband-Headset-10-Magnifier-Magnifying-Glass-Lens-Loupe-with-LED-Light-/281873505012?hash=item41a0f85af4:g:-IIAAOSwNphWXxkj

Drilling, soldering, reading inscriptions and parts.......love them!
I'm French.......sorry for my bad Englishhhhhhh.

thesmokingman

definitely going to see about getting one of these from someone ... pedal sounds pretty epic
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

Droogie

Quote from: thesmokingman on February 26, 2016, 10:09:45 AM
definitely going to see about getting one of these from someone ... pedal sounds pretty epic

Keefe (Haberdasher) has the goods. Got this and four others from him and they are excellent!
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

Droogie

Just fired this one up and the chorus/vibe is excellent! I am having issues with the Dimension pot also—feeds back at 25% of the rotation. I'll check my voltages, parts etc. I checked the demo for the original to see what the behavior is, and really it just adds a bit of slapback echo with some increase in feedback (to my ears). I could live without the dimension since the chorus is really sweet! Nice action on the shape control and Animation.

Scruffie

A Log taper might be better for the dimension pot...
Works at Lectric-FX

madbean

Increasing R10 should help with the Dimension pot.

Droogie

R10 to 18k was mentioned on the Tagboard thread referenced upstream. I'll try it out!

Droogie

So I tried various values for R10 and no love (18k, 33k, 47k, 100k). I get a continuous tone/feedback sound (not delay fb, should have made that more obvious before). If I go as high as 100k, the tone doesn't happen, but no slapback as heard in demos for the original pedal either. I also tried raising the value of the Dimension pot to 50k but same results.

I checked values for all other parts involved and they're correct; no bridges, etc. Not to say that I couldn't have missed something...

Any thoughts of next steps?

Midgardius

I have same problem with DIM pot to...
I tryed to increase R10 value, but it not help. Maybe something more needs chenges? Maybe it need to cut low freq around the DIM pot, course its sound like endless feedback in low freq?

bigzed

Hi Guys, I'm from the UK and love building pedals especially challenging ones with a worthwhile outcome and this is certainly one of them!

I had all the defects described in this forum regarding the Dim pot. I eventually got around the problem with the help from Ciaran from Guitar FX Layouts and this is what I did..

I changed the 5k Dim pot to a 50k, R10 8K2 changed to a 120K (any lower value and the whining was still present). On the fly I also added a 10k resistor from pin 2 of the opamp to + leg of a 1uf Cap and - leg to the Dim 3 lug row..bit unsightly but it seems to work. I do have a small amount of controllable reverb on the Dim but the whining and motor boating have gone and the pedal works and sounds great. I know this is a big change from the Gravity Wave schematic but I can't see how else to overcome the issues.
If anyone ones else finds a better solution I'd be very interested?
Cheers
Bill

madbean

Might be better to reduce R7/R8 to 10k then.

bigzed

Reducing the R7/R8 values would that alone solve the Dim pot issues?