News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Recommend me a 1590a fuzz build

Started by Guybrush, February 22, 2016, 03:02:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guybrush

Hey all

I'm looking to fill a small hole on my board with a fuzz. Can anyone recommend a fuzz project that will fit a 1950a enclosure? I've got the Madbean Hipster on my shortlist but wondered if you guys knew of any others that I could have a look at?

Thanks in advance!

Tremster

matmosphere

Bazz fuzz! I love that thing, and if you spend a little time with it on a breadboard it's pretty easy to get to sounding great on your rig.

nimm

I just put a Devi Ever Ruby into a 1590a and used two MPSA12's for the transistors for a heavier fuzz. It's fun socketing different combinations of transistors on this board to get just the fuzz you want.

midwayfair

ALL OF THEM.

Seriously, what kind of sound do you want? You can fit almost any classic fuzz in a 1590A. :)

flanagan0718

Pretty sure there's a Woolly Mammoth fitted for a 1590a. Either that or the Eagle Claw by Freppo is a good choice. He just redesigned it to fit in a 1590a.

Guybrush

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will check each of them out.

Quote from: midwayfair on February 22, 2016, 05:51:44 AM
ALL OF THEM.

Seriously, what kind of sound do you want? You can fit almost any classic fuzz in a 1590A. :)

Hmmm... good question. Probably something quite full on and snarly. I really like the sound of the Red Witch Ruby. Anyone care to  speculate at what the circuit is based on? I'm useless at that kind of thing. Video demo below:

Thanks again

MacHeath

Sounds like an octave fuzz to me. So you could try the Eagle Claw Fuzz or an Octavia-like circuit.

Jabulani Jonny

How have I never heard of the Seven Sisters line from Red Witch?  Those things are freakin' cool!
Jonathan

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

pickdropper

There are lots of good ones.  I've done a bunch of different fuzzes in 1590a enclosures.

I enjoyed doing the Buzzaround in that form factor.  Tonebender was fun, too.  It depends what you are looking for.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

alanp

For a simple fuzz, grab Rej's Temple of Giants. I put a LED/Silicon/Germanium switch on mine.

It will teach you what your guitar's volume knob is for.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website