News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Question about complete hearing loss...as a feature!

Started by Cortexturizer, February 22, 2016, 01:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

Quote from: davent on February 23, 2016, 09:40:56 PM
100% deaf in the right ear, collateral damage, along with severing of the nerve responsible for the right side of my face, brain tumor excavation in 2011. (Then nerve reassignment surgery a couple weeks later, Frankenstein hack, on paper i'm a mess but i'm not.)

Apparently being stone deaf on one side results in a real loss of 60-65% hearing... you go a bit mad not hearing well, what was that sound, where'd it come from, strategically place yourself so the good ear's in the conversation or conveniently not. I'd hear something and always needed to identify it and where, now that's a constant struggle. I use a foam earplug in my good ear at night so i can sleep otherwise random noises are going keep awake all night.
You can't really tell where the sounds originate, your brain starts to adapt strategies to sort it out but it comes nowhere near what binaural hearing so easily gives you.

Similarly in the day if i need to focus hard, an Etymotic ear bud with the foam earpiece, an ipod and music, doesn't take much volume to block out the noise distractions.

How 'bout a pair or really nice sealed headphones for your girlfriend?

And protect your hearing!
dave

I have a co-worked with unilateral hearing that can actually localize surprisingly well.  He had the loss since birth, so his brain adapted to having only one functioning ear.  You may find that localization improves with time.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

davent

Hi Dave,
I can remember clearly the date, time, where i was, the first time months after the surgery where a sudden crash, as i walked along the Queen St. East in Toronto, spun me back over my right shoulder and i immediately located the source, a 'wow, how'd i do that?' moment. (I was coming from buying replacement foam earpieces for my Grado's)

Just so many factors in play, how much competing noise, echo'y environment, how familiar am i with where i am, do i recognize what the sound is and where is it most likely that that sound would originate from? The brain's pretty plastic and adaptable, just have to never stop working at it,  WIP!
Take care!
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

pickdropper

Quote from: davent on February 24, 2016, 04:20:30 AM
Hi Dave,
I can remember clearly the date, time, where i was, the first time months after the surgery where a sudden crash, as i walked along the Queen St. East in Toronto, spun me back over my right shoulder and i immediately located the source, a 'wow, how'd i do that?' moment. (I was coming from buying replacement foam earpieces for my Grado's)

Just so many factors in play, how much competing noise, echo'y environment, how familiar am i with where i am, do i recognize what the sound is and where is it most likely that that sound would originate from? The brain's pretty plastic and adaptable, just have to never stop working at it,  WIP!
Take care!
dave

Your attitude towards learning will help a lot.  The plasticity of the brain is indeed an amazing thing.  Best of luck.

If you decide you want technical help, they do make hearing aids that mount in your good ear and pass signals to the non-functioning ear.  Some people like them, others don't feel they need them, but it is an option.
Function f(x)

kgull

Quote from: pickdropper on February 24, 2016, 04:37:36 AMIf you decide you want technical help, they do make hearing aids that mount in your good ear and pass signals to the non-functioning ear.
I actually worked with a guy that used one of these devices. Seemed to work well for him and I honestly didn't notice it for the first couple of months working with him. It was a warehouse job and he was management so I can only assume his ability to localize the source of a noise was pretty good :P

pickdropper

Quote from: kgull on February 24, 2016, 04:44:58 AM
Quote from: pickdropper on February 24, 2016, 04:37:36 AMIf you decide you want technical help, they do make hearing aids that mount in your good ear and pass signals to the non-functioning ear.
I actually worked with a guy that used one of these devices. Seemed to work well for him and I honestly didn't notice it for the first couple of months working with him. It was a warehouse job and he was management so I can only assume his ability to localize the source of a noise was pretty good :P

I'm really curious how localization would work since it's effectively a mono signal.  With unilateral hearing, you still get cues from the pinna, but with both ears getting the same clues, I am not sure how the brain would interpret location.

I'm not saying anything definite here.  More curious than anything.

I did take part in a localization test a number of years ago where you put foam tips in your ears that had tubes in them.  The tubes moved the sound pickup outside the pinna of the ear.  Side to side localization was OK, but front back could get screwed up.
Function f(x)

davent

Thanks for the offer and info Dave and Kyle, I wasn't aware such technology was out there so have no idea how it might work and whether i even have the necessary leftover bits for it to work with. All in all it's been a far far more fascinating journey then frustrating.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

kgull

Quote from: pickdropper on February 24, 2016, 05:03:50 AM
Quote from: kgull on February 24, 2016, 04:44:58 AM

I'm really curious how localization would work since it's effectively a mono signal.  With unilateral hearing, you still get cues from the pinna, but with both ears getting the same clues, I am not sure how the brain would interpret location.

I'm not saying anything definite here.  More curious than anything.

I did take part in a localization test a number of years ago where you put foam tips in your ears that had tubes in them.  The tubes moved the sound pickup outside the pinna of the ear.  Side to side localization was OK, but front back could get screwed up.
It was probably more of a result of how long he had worked there TBH. It wasn't really ever something he brought up so IDK. I'm not up on how the tech works, just figured I'd throw in an anecdote.

If I had to guess, the brain probably builds a 'reverb map' of its surrounds and when it gets a 'known signal' it can still somewhat pinpoint where the sound came from. In addition, the structure of the ear acts like a filter and has a pretty big effect on deciding front or back with a normal binaural signal (probably why the tube test came out like it did) so I could see the brain adapting that to an extend. I'm mostly talking out my ass from some random wiki-walks over the years but brain plasticity is a really interesting thing.

pickdropper

Function f(x)

pryde

The plastic brain indeed.

Davent sorry about your hearing issue but glad things are in a better spot than before.

On a similar note, I am legally blind in my right eye from a retina/macula detachment about 4 years ago. After several eye surgeries to restore, I am left with only some peripheral vision (all central vision is washed out/gone on the eye)

When this first happened the lack of depth perception was really challenging. I felt disoriented and had trouble even walking without tripping over my own feet. Needless to say I was really frustrated, sad, and angry about the whole mess. Being an avid cyclist and outdoor guy, along with a family and the thought of being blind was an emotional torrent.

Because of our great plastic brain, my uni-vision has since adapted very well with the left eye taking over full duty and I can do most things without too much struggle these days (except SMD soldering  ::)). I also am not very good at catching a baseball coming at me. Good luck if there are devices that can help you with your hearing.

nzCdog

Wow, the things I take for granted. Sorry to hear about your experiences with hearing and vision loss guys, what a challenge it must be.

I'm blessed to have good eyes and ears, but I can relate to Cortexturizer's first post. Over the last couple years I have (finally) discovered I'm an aural learner, and that sounds are a huge stimulus and often unwanted distraction for me. I live on a noisy busy road with my wife and 2 teenagers in a small house... My eureka personal discovery is... Foam earplugs!

I now have dozens of pairs, I stash them everywhere. I sleep with them, I read with them, I study with them. For years I had all but given up on reading and study, never having a quiet space at home, I could never concentrate for more than a few minutes at a time.  I remember being a bonafide grumpy-monster trying to get get everyone to shaddup already while I was studying full-time in 2012.

The biggest win however, is that my sleep is now far more consistent. (He says surfing the net at 4am).  My family has gotten used to Dad wearing earplugs sometimes, and I no longer find them uncomfortable like I did at first. Silly as it sounds, I feel like I'm getting a big part my life back since discovering foam earplugs...  :-[ :P ;D

raulduke

Just do what my Dad does and learn selective hearing.

My Mum asks 'John have you put that shelf up yet'.... no answer, doesn't hear.

She asks 'John would you like steak tonight for tea' and he responds rightaway, message received loud and clear.

alanp

Quote from: raulduke on February 24, 2016, 03:19:36 PM
Just do what my Dad does and learn selective hearing.

My Mum asks 'John have you put that shelf up yet'.... no answer, doesn't hear.

She asks 'John would you like steak tonight for tea' and he responds rightaway, message received loud and clear.

When Dad was diagnosed with early-onset memory problems, he didn't mind too much. Early retirement, and, in addition to industrial deafness (wear earplugs in engine rooms for supermarket freezers, kids), had the perfect excuse for stuff like this.

"Did you do x?

"I don't know, did you tell me to?"

"Yes, and I know you heard THAT time."

"Well, I didn't remember!"
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

davent

Pryde thanks and can relate to the mono-vision issues.

The nerve severed during my surgery also carried the signal to the eye which was responsible for the blink reflex which happens every six seconds or so. Mine doesn't blink so to protect the eye have to keep a gel, think vaseline, in it at all times, you can't see through vaseline very well. For soldering, no close up depth perception but i've found that if i find the joint first with the solder there's no problem bringing the iron to the joint, with the tactile feedback you zero right in. Have to wear hats and glasses to protect the eye. an eye patch at night but i can close the eye a year of practice and brain plasticity, close it with my tongue.

Took the nerve from the right side of my tongue grafted in somewhere at the base of the right side of my face where it  grew meandered  upwards  with time, a couple years of physio, face is pretty normal rather then Daliesque. Then had to learn how to eat and speak with half a tongue, so i'm half deaf, dumb and blind... The tongue was the worst crushed and mangled by the molars, quite audible crushing sound to those around, over and over again, it's been awhile.

Was back playing hockey without missing a beat when it started up again 10 months after surgery. Like baseball, playing a sport/competing you seem to tap into another level of functioning and focus that's not there in everyday activities.

Weird as it may sound i really enjoyed the recovery period, get up every day see how hard, how far i push myself, new discoveries, new victories, practice,practice, practice... it was good! Still spend a good chunk of time everyday working at it.

dave

pryde

Quote from: davent on February 24, 2016, 05:58:42 PM
Pryde thanks and can relate to the mono-vision issues.

The nerve severed during my surgery also carried the signal to the eye which was responsible for the blink reflex which happens every six seconds or so. Mine doesn't blink so to protect the eye have to keep a gel, think vaseline, in it at all times, you can't see through vaseline very well. For soldering, no close up depth perception but i've found that if i find the joint first with the solder there's no problem bringing the iron to the joint, with the tactile feedback you zero right in. Have to wear hats and glasses to protect the eye. an eye patch at night but i can close the eye a year of practice and brain plasticity, close it with my tongue.

Took the nerve from the right side of my tongue grafted in somewhere at the base of the right side of my face where it  grew meandered  upwards  with time, a couple years of physio, face is pretty normal rather then Daliesque. Then had to learn how to eat and speak with half a tongue, so i'm half deaf, dumb and blind... The tongue was the worst crushed and mangled by the molars, quite audible crushing sound to those around, over and over again, it's been awhile.

Was back playing hockey without missing a beat when it started up again 10 months after surgery. Like baseball, playing a sport/competing you seem to tap into another level of functioning and focus that's not there in everyday activities.

Weird as it may sound i really enjoyed the recovery period, get up every day see how hard, how far i push myself, new discoveries, new victories, practice,practice, practice... it was good! Still spend a good chunk of time everyday working at it.

dave

Wow Dave thanks for sharing, you got real grit my friend.
I know the eye gel thing as I have to keep my right eye slathered with goop all day as well as the eye surgeries inflicted nerve and vascular damage to the cornea. I have re-current abrasions (ulcers) on the cornea surface where it wears away from blinking and wont re-generate fast enough. Hurts like hell and gooping it up is the only thing you can do to protect the corneal surface.

Soldering for me was impossible at first as well but much better now. I still miss the target once in a while bringing in the solder to the tip/component lead  :)

George

When I signed up for this forum almost a year ago i couldnt imagine that apart from pedals i would learn so much about the lives and experiences of people that i havent even met. Thanks for sharing your experiences good or bad, i really respect & appreciate it.