News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

1590G 4:1 Compressor diodes....

Started by Drew Hallenbeck, March 26, 2016, 11:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drew Hallenbeck

Build doc calls for BAT-46 diodes. I have a bunch of BAT-41's right now. From what I can gather the 41's forward bias voltage is a bit higher than a typical germanium. Brian said he chose the 46's because they're closer to the low germanium forward bias voltage.
I could order some 46's but I'd like to get this one going. Would the 41's be close enough to give em a whirl?
I suppose I could "socket and see" but I really want to keep everything as small and close to the board as possible.
Building with my daughter and occasionally selling as "Daddy Daughter Pedal Works"
Not for any real profit, just trying to have a self-funding hobby.

madbean

I have not built it with BAT41. It would work you might lose a little sensitivity in the attack/response of the compression but my guess is it's not going to be night and day difference. You could always use 1n34a or 1n270 if you have them. I just stayed away from them here because they are a bit tall. They might fit in the enclosure...I'm not positive. You might be able to solder them on the bottom side of the PCB, too.

Drew Hallenbeck

Thanks Brian.
I think I might try to use some sockets and give the 41's a try. I do have a few germanium diodes kicking about but I think I'd rather save those for various dirt boxes.
I'm going to need to put in another parts order soon enough so I might as well just grab a good handful of the 46's while I'm at it.
If I manage to give both types a try in the 4:1 I'll be sure to report back if there's any real noticeable difference.
Building with my daughter and occasionally selling as "Daddy Daughter Pedal Works"
Not for any real profit, just trying to have a self-funding hobby.