18 (43.9%)
No, because don't want.
3 (7.3%)
Maybe, but I prefer new projects first.
20 (48.8%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Voting closed: July 12, 2011, 09:29:32 AM

gflobe

I would be truly grateful if you offered the Sunking again, even if you imposed limitations on production. I started making my own pedals recently after growing tired of paying obscene prices for boutique pedals. I have been pleased with places like Madbean and BYOC for their quality products and helpful advice.

I really love the idea that a company like Madbean offers people the chance to build a pedal that would otherwise cost several hundred dollars. To me, there is something truly special about buying a PCB, sourcing the parts, soldering it all together and hearing a beautiful sound at a fraction of the price.

I don't understand the hype surrounding pedals like the Klon Centaur or King of Tone. They are great sounding pedals but not worth the amount of obsession surrounding them. This is especially true when it prevents someone who would like to build one from doing so because high demand has exceeded supply.

I found out about Madbean after growing frustrated trying to find someone selling a PCB for a Centaur clone. Another sight, not to be named, offered a PCB at an inflated price and it was not even an accurate copy of the original. By all accounts the Madbean version was the best copy available and  I decided to order one from there. However the store was closed by the time I found it and when it re opened the Sunking was gone.

If it is never to return then so be it, But I for one would like the chance to try and build it just for the sake of having done so. A limit of one per customer, wait list or even just offering it once and a while would be much better than ending production forever. I like this company and everything that it produces and my loyalty as a customer would be ensured for a long time to come if I did not feel like I had to buy of boards as fast as I could for fear of them being gone forever.

crashguitar

Quote from: madbean on July 08, 2011, 06:10:47 AM
Just to clarify, it was not discontinued due to any outside pressure at all. I simply chose to include in the group I discontinued because of other factors.

Another possibility is an alternate, streamlined version. I've kicked that around for quite some time...actually, it's mostly built. I kinda doubt that many would be interested in that when they could just build the real deal.

Point being, I am neither for or against offering some more of them as a one time final fling. The decision to discontinue it was made after the last batch had been ordered. Had I known at the time, I would have gotten some more.

Anyway, lots to think on here. Thanks for the feedback. :)

I think a streamlined version may be cool. Perhaps this is different enough that it could qualify as "near-original."

aziltz

I think the Sunking is worthy of some big mods, Madbean style.

petesz

Quote from: aziltz on July 24, 2011, 05:11:23 PM

I think a madbean-modded sunking would be way more awesome than just having the clone pcb back.

jtn191

sgmezei

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: petesz on July 24, 2011, 07:15:12 PM
Quote from: aziltz on July 24, 2011, 05:11:23 PM

I think a madbean-modded sunking would be way more awesome than just having the clone pcb back.

You two are right on the money. We all know Madbean does it better.  ;)
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

NormalChannel

Quote from: gflobe on July 24, 2011, 02:44:21 PM
I like this company and everything that it produces and my loyalty as a customer would be ensured for a long time to come if I did not feel like I had to buy of boards as fast as I could for fear of them being gone forever.

+1

31.69 nHz = once a year

madbean

I appreciate that concern and believe me I am not discontinuing boards as a sales gimmick. Some were discontinued because I had too many hand-made ones on the roster and I could not keep up. Others were discontinued due to some external pressure, although more from my desire to move beyond clones.

I do not expect that any projects I release from here on out to fall into either of the above categories. All of the "big" projects will be manufactured which is a guarantee that I will carry them for a long time. Smaller projects will be hand-made, but released in batches. A batch may go out of stock for a while but then come back after a couple of weeks, etc.

We'll see about the Sunking. I'm not making a firm commitment either way but I have read everyone's reply carefully.

sprayfe

I agree with the dudes along the lines of you could make some serious mods. Maybe even put multiple diodes on the board?  Maybe even an expanded eq section! Dream big bean. You are the man!

madbean

This is pretty much what I've decided to do for now. I have something worked up and I will report back once more progress is made.

redbean

Quote from: madbean on August 06, 2011, 02:02:01 PM
This is pretty much what I've decided to do for now. I have something worked up and I will report back once more progress is made.

Great! Will it be bass-friendly too? ;D
es là-bas!!

crashguitar

Awesome. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: madbean on August 06, 2011, 02:02:01 PM

Very pleased with your decision.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

Melonhead

I'm all for it.   Now i personally dont know what your financial situation currently is-  i have no idea how much it costs you to make another batch, but regarding other's requests for more new pedals i would say this:  cant you do both?  i mean it's not like you have to juggle figuring out new circuits along with figuring out the sunking's.  As a brand spanking new builder (currently almost finished with my first project- an aristocrat named "Dorothy" ) i must admit that the SOLE reason i stumbled upon madbeanpedals.com was because i was looking for a Klon board.  this is the first (and perhaps only)  site i've found that is both extremely easy to navigate, reasonably priced, and above all else  LEGIT.  so i say let people have their cake and eat it too.   But dont let it stop being fun for you madbean.  if it gets to that point then i would rather you pull back on the reigns a bit, ...of course, what the hell do i know, you could be making bank off of this! lol.   anyway, i look forward to more builds whatever you decide to supply us with.   thanks for having me.