News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

3rd degree burns on my left hand.

Started by blearyeyes, March 03, 2016, 12:24:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blearyeyes

I messed up good and have had to get a skin graft from my wrist up the side of my palm and up the outside of my pinky. I am facing a year or two till the graft is finished. My reaction to this is to crave playing and an incredible GAS attack! So while I'm working through painful physical therapy to get back the full function of my hand, which they say will happen, I have to buy a guitar or an amp of inspiration !!  Or both!

If you could drop a couple grand what would you get?

Daniel

raulduke

Sorry to hear about your set back dude. That sounds pretty serious. Good luck with the surgery (I'm sure it will go fine).

Amp: Toneking Imperial MKII. I've got one and it's ace. It also covers a lot of ground. Once you buy one you might find that GAS for other amps dwindles.

Guitar: This changes all the time, but the guitars I always go back to are my USA Strat, and my Les Paul (Studio with Bigsby). Can't go wrong with the classics!

Muadzin

That sucks, dude! I remember when I broke my left pinky that not being able to play the guitar for weeks was sheer torture. Get well soon!

If I had some money to drop I'd buy me a Kemper profiling amp. The rack version with poweramp. For guitar maybe that upcoming Fender The Edge signature Strat.

samhay

Bummer, but at least it sounds it should only be a temporary bump in the road.

Does the injury prevent you playing at the moment and/or is the skin graft likely to do so (I would imagine it will be 'tight' for some time)?

Playing guitar is likely to be excellent rehab, but if you can't do that for a while there are options: I had an unintentional experiment with DIY amputation of my left index finger some years ago. It was unsuccessful, but required tendon repair and about a year of rehab. I went nuts after a few weeks of not being able to play anything - hand was in various bandages/ splints for a long time - so I bought a square neck dobro. I figured I could play improvised lap steel until I got my hand back. An electric lap steel is not necessarily a very expensive purchase (but they can be, or you could buy a pedal steel!), but allows a slightly new creative outlet, they are quite moddable, and play nice with pedals.

Leevibe

Really sorry to hear about that, and really impressed that you're just ready to move forward. Good job. If the extent of your injury doesn't prevent you from tinkering, why not build an amp? At least half the fun of amp building is in the planning, purchasing, and anticipating anyway.

dbp512

Sorry about the hand, I hope for a quick and painless recovery. At least you'll have plenty of time to dream and drool over your new gear! Keeping a positive attitude is key
"you truly are a transistor tickler, what with the application of germanium ointment to sensitive fuzzy areas. :)" - playpunk

jimilee

Duuuude, that blows. I hope the pain is manageable.
I think I'd buy a hiwatt amp. Guitar would have to be either a strat or a gold top les Paul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

midwayfair

It's only one hand, right?

Get a steel/lap steep guitar and a slide. I knew a guy in San Antonio that had been disfigured in a house fire and permanently lost the use of multiple fingers. He played steel like a frigging champ.

Or take up keyboard.

Or put the money in a 1-year CD and get something nice when your graft is finished.

alanp

Learn some Django tunes? (I was horribly disappointed when I found out that movie was NOT about French Gypsies in WW2...)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Gainzilla

Quote from: midwayfair on March 03, 2016, 07:58:49 AM
Or put the money in a 1-year CD and get something nice when your graft is finished.

That... Is brilliant.

Really sorry to hear when anything like this happens. A close friend of mine was attacked with a golf club (9 iron or whatever)... He almost lost 3 fingers on his left hand and sustained significant head trauma. He was diligent about his PT and back playing in a year. Same thing with my best friend/drummer. He had his forearm nearly completely severed. They re-attached it. I would say he's better now than before the accident. The point is, the human spirit can overcome a ton of adversity. Hang in there man!

I had kids, and am slowly overcoming that. Hehe

Cheers, and Godspeed!

- Bryce
I know it's only Rock and roll, but I like it!

pryde

Very sorry to hear this. Burn rehab can be long and painful but good results as your therapist has said. Godspeed.

For the guitar you need there is only one choice: Les Paul Standard Gold Top  :)

jkokura

That's terrible!

I'd be jonesing for my fav amp and guitar setup. Blackface Fender Princeton and a Gibson ES335.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

blearyeyes

Thanks you guys.
We have a lot of smart people hanging around this site.
All ideas are fantastic. Never would have thought of a lap pedal!
I'm going to start looking and once again I appreciate all of you!

davent

Sorry to hear!

The doctors will put you back together so you can keep going but it's the physiotherapists that give you your life back. Find a good one and put in the time and you'll be back good as new. It does take time and effort, no magic bullets, physio's the key.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

wgc

always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings