News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

"Footswitch" in a pedal looper for changing amp channels? Possible?

Started by Gainzilla, March 03, 2016, 05:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gainzilla

Hi all,

I picked up a Joyo pedal looper a couple years ago and am now regretting not spending the extra $50 or whatever for the amp channel switching connection. The question is, can a signal sensing pedal be added to one of the loops (say the clean channel)? The pedal would sit in the loop and when no signal is present, would have the crunch channel on. When I engage a loop intended for clean, a signal flips an optoisolator or whatever and changes the amp channel (also passing signal if you wanted to actually put a pedal after it).

Thoughts? I don't think optoisolatos flip when you hit them with audio but maybe something like a compressor threshold circuit that would send some voltage to a jfet or optoisolator? Something like a side chain maybe? Any input to get me going in the right direction would be most appreciated. I'll happily pull together a schematic and pcb to share. I really want to avoid tap dancing. #firstworldproblems

Cheers!
I know it's only Rock and roll, but I like it!

Gainzilla

Hello? Cujo?

Lol. Seriously, any thoughts? How can I use audio to close a circuit? Love to hear your ideas.

Cheers!

- Bryce

Gainzilla

Quick follow up: I was able to get some guidance on the ampgarage forum. In a nutshell, I'm going to take a lead off one of the loops LED indicators. When that loop is engaged, the LED will light up, sending enough voltage to an NPN transistor to change to a base/collector state. The collector will connect to the tip of a Jack. Voila. Amp channel switching. Admittedly, it's a hack, but I'll take it. :)

I'll post a drawing once I finalize.

Cheers!