News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Lots of respect for ACDC, this is a bummer

Started by matmosphere, March 08, 2016, 01:33:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matmosphere

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/03/acdc-frontman-brian-johnson-ordered-to-stop-touring-immediately-or-risk-total-hearing-loss/

Feel bad for the guy. Hopefully he can recover from whatever is causing the problem. I've never gotten into these guys, but they have a great sound and they are a really tight band. Lots of respect for them as musicians.

wgc

Unfortunately there is no cure for hearing damage from high volume levels. It's cumulative and initially often goes unnoticed for a decade or so. So the more damage, the faster it gets further damaged.

Always sad to hear things like this, much of the damage could have been prevented with protection. He's not alone either, Pete Townsend, Paul Gilbert, etc.

All of us likely have some damage to our hearing, it's never too late to start taking better care of your ears, especially with the options we have today.  I have a 35% conductive loss in my left ear and the difference is enough to easily make me a believer.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

alanp

There's a certain gallows humour in the domain name for that article.

TBH, looking back, I'm surprised that this hasn't happened sooner. I've heard tell of people living a few towns down the road from Wellington being able to clearly hear ACDC concerts at the Westpac Stadium there!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

nzCdog

stevie1556

I've just finally managed to get tickets for AC/DC for when they play the Olympic Stadium. It's Brian and Angus that really make the band IMO, and as gutted as I feel as I've always wanted to see them live, he has to put his health first.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

pryde

I have seen them a couple times in arena venues. Insanely loud show. Couldn't imagine that night after night

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

jimilee

Im pretty much dead from years of playing in bands. I can't hear anything without my hearing aides. It could have been prevented, but back then my parents didn't know what they were talking about. The older I get, the smarter they got though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

GermanCdn

Thinking maybe the writings on the wall for AC/DC, maybe it's time to latch the cases and call it a career.  Sad thought, but Back in Black came out what, 35 years ago?

As far as hearing protection goes, I could also live without the permanent ringing in my right ear.  That being said, I've found that the Surefire earplugs (shooting earplugs) do a great job protecting my ears while not ruining the aural experience.  Wore them to back to back Trivium and Disturbed concerts last month, and it was the first time in 38 years where I could actually hear the day after a show.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.