News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Snack Shack help

Started by TheLiam01, July 08, 2011, 09:03:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheLiam01

This is my first post here as I've recently made my first PCB order with Madbean. I haven't got the boards yet but I am going to build the Snack Shack/Meathead first because it seems the easiest and I have only built one pedal before. I was just wanting to make it a little more versatile because of the one knob and I was wondering whether an input pot similar to the strain on the Zygote or a regular fuzz face style gain knob would be more affective for a range of sounds. I was also thinking of using a two or three way switch to switch the input capacitor and I was wondering what values people think would give usable sounds. Maybe one for humbuckers and one for single coils?
Thanks guys.

Haberdasher

To use a pre-gain (or strain) pot just put a 50kB pot in series with the input.  From madbean:

QuoteMy personal preference is to set it up so that when you turn the pot up, it reduces the fuzz, but it can go either way. To set it up that way, the input wire from the 3PDT goes to lug2 and another wire goes from lug1 to the input pad on the board. As you turn it up, resistance increases and this reduces the overall fuzz.

To do it the opposite way, where fuzz reduces as you turn the pot down, simply move the input pad wire from lug1 to lug3.

If you go that route, you may not need a different input cap for humbuggies since you can just dial down the overall fuzz anyway.  At any rate, I'm not sure what cap values to suggest for such a mod.  I'll leave that one for someone else.

Hope that helps, and welcome to the forums!
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

TheLiam01

Thanks for that, I'll probably just try different values and find the ones that sound the best

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: TheLiam01 on July 08, 2011, 02:08:50 PM
Thanks for that, I'll probably just try different values and find the ones that sound the best

It really depends on what your looking for. If you want more bass, increase C1 to something in the 47n-100n range. If you want more keep increasing. You could probably use the 10n for treble and 100n for bass settings. If you want more trebley sound decrease C1.  :)
Between this and the pregain you should have a sweet 2 knob pedal!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals