News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

How do we feel about PRS SE guitars?

Started by flanagan0718, March 10, 2016, 06:16:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flanagan0718

So long story short, I'm kind of sick of my LP. It is routed for P90's. I'm not a single coil type of guy so I put these in there.

http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/soap-bar/dlx-plus-bridge

http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/soap-bar/dlx-plus-neck

These sound...good but still not to my liking. I was thinking of going to mini humbuckers but don't know that much about pickups. I have also wanted a PRS for a while now. I like the Custom 22 and Custom 24. I know that the SE models are cheaper but I'm not sure how much quality was sacrificed for the cheaper price tag. I was thinking of selling the LP and picking one of these up. just wanted some opinions, thanks.

gordo

They seem quite nice.  Good construction but lesser hardware than their $$$ counterparts.  I'm not a fan of most of the neck shapes but I could get used to it.

I'm a big P90 fan (except for the hum) so the LP would be one of my ideal guitars.  The mini's are nice sounding pickups.  Brighter and tighter than big buckers.  The only sonic example I can think of is Blue Oyster Cult (Don't Fear the Reaper etc...).  Buck Dharma was a big LP Deluxe (with mini buckers) user.  I had an ES-325 I wish I still had that had the minis and it was a great sounding guitar.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

flanagan0718

Quote from: gordo on March 10, 2016, 06:57:48 PM
They seem quite nice.  Good construction but lesser hardware than their $$$ counterparts.  I'm not a fan of most of the neck shapes but I could get used to it.

I'm a big P90 fan (except for the hum) so the LP would be one of my ideal guitars.  The mini's are nice sounding pickups.  Brighter and tighter than big buckers.  The only sonic example I can think of is Blue Oyster Cult (Don't Fear the Reaper etc...).  Buck Dharma was a big LP Deluxe (with mini buckers) user.  I had an ES-325 I wish I still had that had the minis and it was a great sounding guitar.

Hmm that's a pretty good comparison. Maybe I'll look into getting some mini hums...any recommendations (in expensive)? The neck on the PRS, I thought, was pretty comfortable. Hardware is replaceable too. I just hope they aren't made from particle board (an obvious exaggeration). The SE Santana seemed that i played seemed to have some heft.

gordo

I could probably be accused of being a GFS sales guy but http://www.guitarfetish.com/Gibson-P90-Soapbar-Style-Mini-Humbuckers_c_237.html is a nice cheap way of finding out if the mini's are going to float your boat.  I've had great luck with their stuff but have not heard these particular pickups.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

AntKnee

I have a 97 CE-22, dot inlays. I got it new, chose it because it felt and sounded great, but I didnt want a flashy finish or dove inlays. I dont know how it compares to the SE line, but I can say it does feel different from a Les Paul. If you like the feel of your LP, try some diferent pups first. My taste has evolved a lot since 97, mostly play a strat these days. Go figure.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

pickdropper

Quote from: AntKnee on March 11, 2016, 12:59:44 AM
I have a 97 CE-22, dot inlays. I got it new, chose it because it felt and sounded great, but I didnt want a flashy finish or dove inlays. I dont know how it compares to the SE line, but I can say it does feel different from a Les Paul. If you like the feel of your LP, try some diferent pups first. My taste has evolved a lot since 97, mostly play a strat these days. Go figure.

The CE-22s are really nice guitars.  Some folks turn their nose down because they are bolt on, but the quality is great on those things.

I think the PRS SE are a great bargain for the money.  To me, they feel a bit cheaper than the USA core series, but they are a third (or less) of the price.  Like many, I might have a slight bias towards the higher priced instruments as well.

If you can stretch your budget a bit, there are deals on used core PRS's out there.  Just make sure it's authentic.  There are some fakes floating around out there.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

nzCdog

I have a Soapbar SE, a real favourite but required some work to get there.

Good: The most comfy to play guitar I own, by far.  Love the 'wide/fat' neck profile.  Lightweight and very well balanced. 
Bad:   Stock pickups& electronics are lame.  Tuners also lame.  Neck setup is average at best on the upper frets.

I replaced the p90s with Dimarzio 'Virtual P90s' (♥♥♥!), replaced the nut with off-the-shelf graphtec, rewired the guts to VV.  Could definitely do with better quality pots and tuners.  I have this strung with heavier strings for rocking rhythm when singing etc.  It sounds amazing and is so nice to play, really comfy, perfect for rhythm.  With a good set-up it might become suitable for lead guitar... maybe. I mean I can play lead guitar on it, but more complicated lead lines start to show the limitations of the instrument.

flanagan0718

Thanks for the input guys. I was poking around on CL and found a bunch of used SE in the market. They seem to be pretty affordable. I do like my LP but it's always been 2nd to my SG. That is my BABY! The LP was always a backup. It's a LP JR so its a flat top with a modern neck...not my fave. but for now I'll keep an eye out for a inexpensive used PRS. I'll take a peak at those mini hums too! Thanks for the advice guys.

pryde

SE models are really nice Korean made guitars. I see a number of them, mainly for basic setups, pickup swaps, etc. The frets are always dressed well, nut cut correctly, fit and finish are good. If you like the look and feel you cant go wrong with the SE line.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

alanp

I'm shallow, but when fans start coming up with "cute" collective nouns like "PRSi", and the most shared images are of sleek, shiiiiiinies (like guitar-shaped Porsche 911's)...

It makes my inner bogan dig in his heels and demand a flat-black Cabronita.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

juansolo

I had a PRS SE Soapbar. It had a pair of BKP 91 pickups in it and despite the thing costing sweet FA, it had a really weird nice grain/cut marks and sounded spectacular. I mean really spectacular. BUT I just couldn't get on with the neck on the thing. No idea what it was about it, but I wasn't the only one as it became a proper 'board whore' as it got handed around people on one of the old forums. Everyone pretty much of the same opinion.

Almost forgot that I modded it with a TonePro's bridge, think it had Gotoh locking tuners also. I'm such a tart.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

jkokura

I have owned several PRS SE guitars. I now own none.

I enjoyed them while I had them, but never bonded so closely with one that I have kept it. Obviously they're not bad guitars, but they're also not a high end guitar. Good for the money, similar to an Epiphone or Mexican Fender.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

flanagan0718

Quote from: jkokura on March 11, 2016, 03:05:36 PM
I have owned several PRS SE guitars. I now own none.

I enjoyed them while I had them, but never bonded so closely with one that I have kept it. Obviously they're not bad guitars, but they're also not a high end guitar. Good for the money, similar to an Epiphone or Mexican Fender.

Jacob

Cool thanks for the comparison.

jball85

Not a fan of the neck shapes either. If my back was in some seriously bad shape I would buy a PRS, and limit my LP playing time. However, a Les Paul can't be replaced except by another Les Paul. In my opinion that is. I would go for a Les Paul with a classic pickup configuration, meaning full sized humbuckers. Imo, the SE's are quality guitars for their price range, like a nicer Epiphone.

flanagan0718

Quote from: jball85 on March 11, 2016, 06:15:32 PM
Not a fan of the neck shapes either. If my back was in some seriously bad shape I would buy a PRS, and limit my LP playing time. However, a Les Paul can't be replaced except by another Les Paul. In my opinion that is. I would go for a Les Paul with a classic pickup configuration, meaning full sized humbuckers. Imo, the SE's are quality guitars for their price range, like a nicer Epiphone.

I think that's my "beef" with my LP. It's a special. So that means it's a flat top. Maybe I'll unload it and grab that used Epi silver burst I've been eyeing as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk