News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Green Bean Diodes for D1-D3?

Started by Dawnofzion, March 11, 2016, 10:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dawnofzion

I am about to start a Green Bean tube screamer project soon and had a question.  I plan on doing the stock version of the build, but I wanted to ask what the typical diode everyone has used for D1-D3?

The instructions say "your choice".  Anyone have any experience doing the stock version? If so, what diodes did you use in these locations?

matmosphere

I'm pretty sure the stock diodes are d4 and d5. The stock screamer doesn't have clipping options. I'm planning on building a green bean soon as well, but I think I'm just going to use Brian's specs.

playpunk

I have led's in the symmetrical side and 4148's in the asymmetrical

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk

jimilee

1n914 ar the closest to the originals I think. I think I also put red LEDs in the clipping options,
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Dawnofzion

I'm somewhat new to pedal building so forgive me if this seems remedial, but if I'm looking to do a true stock 808; what would I need to do with the D1-D3? 

matmosphere

The stock tubescreamer doesn't have d1-d3. Those are a mod to add more versatility. Using different types of diodes in the signal path can dramatically change the sound of a pedal. The clipping switch and the fat switch are actually both mods, but the pedal can operate completely stock if you have the fat switch and the clipping switch both set in the appropriate positions.

I hope that helps you out.

As far as what to use, I'd say solder sockets into the board and buy a few different options. Then you can try stuff out and see what you like.

jimilee

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but put a jumper on the sym right pad and middle pad, and a jumper in D3, that should leave you D1 and D2 like the original ts808. D4 and D5 should no longer even be in the circuit because of the jumpered switch.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

matmosphere

I think that would do it Jimi, and I'm pretty certain that you wouldn't even have to jumper d3. That would take the switch out, but other than saving a dollar(ish) I'm not sure that it'd be worth it.

Dawnofzion

Would it be possible to put 3 LED's in for the asymmetrical side and go stock on the symmetrical?

jimilee

Yes

matmosphere

Quote from: Dawnofzion on March 14, 2016, 04:24:29 PM
Would it be possible to put 3 LED's in for the asymmetrical side and go stock on the symmetrical?

Go for it, but you might want to socket the leds. Different colors/sizes will sound different.

jtaormina

Quote from: Matmosphere on March 14, 2016, 05:40:49 PM
Quote from: Dawnofzion on March 14, 2016, 04:24:29 PM

Go for it, but you might want to socket the leds. Different colors/sizes will sound different.

There is something about red LEDs that sounds a bit harsh to me. I'm off of using them for now. I got some Russian diodes I've yet to try out but I'm hoping they add something nice.