News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

This POP has me beat

Started by AJPennypacker, March 07, 2016, 07:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJPennypacker

Hi all, appreciate your help on this one, built a Jules Cavern from rullywow which is a great sounding little delay, the only drawback is that I'm getting a pretty big pop when first engaging the pedal. With a few clicks on and off it goes away but I'd like to eliminate it if possible. The board does have a pull down resistor so don't think that's the issue. I've read about leaking capacitors causing pop so I've even replaced all the electrolytics with no success.

Any help greatly appreciated.

pryde

Make sure the PDR is correct value. Also try raising it to 2M2. If no luck try another PDR on the output.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

pryde

Also reflow all solder joints on the switch.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

AJPennypacker

Hey thanks very much will give it a go today.

AJPennypacker

Unfortunately didn't resolve the issue, anyone with more experience chime in but my thinking is that since I get pop when first clicking on but then nothing if I play it for a bit and click off and on, it's likely to be a leaking cap..... When off/not being played it seems like the pop builds up.

If this make sense does anyone know a way to check for this type of issue. Don't really want to replace all the non-elec caps but I'm obsessing so that'll likely be my next step.

Thanks again for the suggestions pryde

tol

the only thing that worked for me was to use an optical bypass board AND add 2m2 resistor on the output. since there was an extra ground pad on the bypass pcb, I soldered the pdr directly to the bypass board.

kinski

Try a lower value for the output pull down. Like 100k-500k. That's worked for me on a few occasions.

rullywowr

I agree, you might want to try putting a 1M resistor on the cathode (-) of C4 and attach the other end to ground.  Using an optical bypass like the Detour PCB may help too.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

AJPennypacker

Fixed! The resistor on C4 seems to have done the trick. Thanks very much for the advice.