News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

How do you guys attach madbeans pcbs to your enclosures?

Started by jimmybjj, June 24, 2010, 09:55:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmybjj

there aren't any holes to use standoffs with. any methods used with boards besides double sided tape?
Pcbs no longer available

irmcdermott

i usually build mine in 1290s, so space is usually tight, but the wires keep it secure and i usually have some running under the board, which keeps the solder joints from touching the pots, causing them to short.

i've gotten some crap about letting my PCBs "float" on other forums, but i know i'm not the only one who does it, and i have yet to have a pedal short out doing it this way.

pauloman80

So far I've only built the Krankosaurus, and it uses PCB-mounted pots.  Really simplifies the mounting process, but you gotta make sure the holes for the pots are drilled just right.  Floating is one way to go and is easier with the wiring I've got, but I've also considered epoxy to help suspend the board in place.
--------------------------------------------------
Regards,
pauloman80

PeterMorton

So far, I float unless the kit came with a way to attach it, like the aforementioned board-mounted pots. I haven't done one of 'bean's boards yet, but I've done another pedal that didn't come as a ready to build kit. On that build, I was happy to have to float the board because I needed to debug and troubleshoot quite a bit. With a floating board, it was easier to get in and out. I may go back and shorten some of the wires to clean up the rat's nest look, but probably not. If it ain't broke, I won't fix it.

madbean

Usually I use either small squares of DS 3M foam tape on the backs of pots or a large square of the furry side of velcro attached to the underside of the board. If you do your lead dressing well enough (i.e. short wires) these two things will keep the board secure.

Plastic standoffs are great, but not very suited for 1590B, IMO. I do use them sometimes for the larger 1590BB, but not too often.

There's always Barry's 'Pot Condoms' over at guitarpcb. Haven't tried those. Funny thing is...I have it in my memory that I gave his little covers the name 'pot condoms' but I am probably totally wrong. I wish I could remember correctly, only because I think it's hilarious. Probably wishful thinking on my part :)

Hyatt

I usually just make my wires really short and feed them into the topside of the board, keeps it tied down.  Then I'll put a piece of thin cardboard under the pcb and wrap it in electric tape.  Not the prettiest but pretty durable.

andywragg

I just let the board float and isolate it with a square of white foam, similar to what some consumer electronics get packed in.

CRBMoA

I use short leads on my control pots, pot condoms and never have issues floating boards.

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

sgmezei

For what it is worth, I have found double sided sticky foam tape at dollar stores and craft stores for CHEAP. They work great for pcbs and you can have it float or stick it on the enclosure.

This method has worked great and is inexpensive.

chip46

Short leads and floating pcb's here as well. If I can't push the pcb around to make it go where I want then force and gravity won't be able to do any better, the boards are very stable with proper wire use.

That said, if there is room to mount the board directly to the enclosure I'll just slap down some double sided tape and do it that way.

TNblueshawk

Frankly, I have only used a small piece of tape on one board, otherwise they float. I use pot condomns http://www.guitarpcb.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1409402  so I don't have to worry about shorts against the pots and frankly by the time I use as short of wires as possible that board isn't going anywhere unless I toss it down some stairs. I guess the purist might want to lock it down and that is fine. I get it in the same sense of why do we worry about the looks of the guts. It doesn't make the pedal sound better. But, to each his own.
John

juansolo

Double sided foam tape. Buy massive reels of the stuff on ebay.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

lloyd17

I use thin pieces of foam tape to insulate the pots and the bottom plate of the case and just let the board float. I enjoy laying out pots and switches and accompanying wiring chores plus I like the ability to drop the guts out if a pedal in one piece if I need to.

raulduke

I use velcro strip (copied from how D*A*M makes pedals).

The fluffy side goes on the pcb and the hook side wherever you want to stick the board too.

Once the velcro strip is stuck on its sticks really well.

Plus you can detach the board from the enclosure if needs be.