News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

16mm vs 9mm pots, any quality concerns?

Started by markeprice, March 15, 2016, 08:39:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markeprice

If there has already been a discussion like this, let me know, I couldn't find one. 

I am wondering if anybody has found any real quality difference between the alpha 16mm and the alpha 9mm pots?  Why would I use one over the other (besides the 9mm can be crammed onto a PCB easier/closer/etc).  I am talking mostly about quality and long term use.  Any thoughts on this?  I have used both and they both seem to be fine, but have used 16mm a lot longer than the 9mm pots.  Thanks!
Cuz they's made for Giggin!
Mark Price: owner frogpedals.com

raulduke

They are both fine as far as I know.

I haven't seen any information on longevity for Alpha Pots. You get avg. no of actuations for switches etc., but I haven't seen any info for pots that gives an indication of lifetime.

They (9mm and 16mm) are both the same tolerance.

I can source 16mm pots a lot easier in the UK, and they are way cheaper too.

It is only for these reasons that I use them opposed to 9mm.

If 9mm were easy to get hold of, and inexpensive, then I would use them for everything. They make doing nice compact PCB layouts a hell of a lot easier  ;)

chromesphere

Rotation life cycle of the 9mm alpha (Taiwan) pots is 15,000 cycles min.  Not sure if that means anything to you but I'm looking at the spec they sent through to me.  15k turns seems pretty durable all the same!

I cant imagine the cost of the 9mm pots will be any less then what's currently available, at least from looking at their MOQ cost per unit, they must be just more expensive to manufacture.

Space is the main concern, but I supply them with my project kits also due to logistical complications from Australia.  Essentially, they are small to post.
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

markeprice

Thank you for your thoughts.  I was also wondering if there was any opinion using the 9mm off-board as opposed to the 16mm.  Of course the 9mm clip into the PCBs so nice, but could be used, I suppose, directly on the enclosure/chassis. 

Thanks,

pickdropper

Quote from: markeprice on March 16, 2016, 07:55:59 AM
Thank you for your thoughts.  I was also wondering if there was any opinion using the 9mm off-board as opposed to the 16mm.  Of course the 9mm clip into the PCBs so nice, but could be used, I suppose, directly on the enclosure/chassis. 

Thanks,

I generally wire 9mm pots off-board in my 1590a builds.  It works just fine.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Domdec314

I use 9mm Bourns pots from Mouser. I don't know if they're any better than Alpha, but I've had no issues with them.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=PTD901-2015K-B503virtualkey65210000virtualkey652-PTD901-2015KB503

samhay

markeprice

Wow, the diystompboxes thread does get a little nasty!   Anyway, I do appreciate your feedback.  There is one neat thing about that diystompboxes thread when you wire a little 9mm pot off board, and that was how one guy cuts a piece of vero board and solders the pot to that and then attaches the wires to the vero board.  Would make it much  better to solder to.  Thanks all!