News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Hipster not working

Started by cdevor88, March 16, 2016, 12:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdevor88

OK,  so  I finished my hipster and now when I plug it in I get an extremely loud staticy feedbackish noise. I audio probed the board and it seemed ok.  All my values are correct. I used bc108s for the transistors. Everything else is standard except I omitted the LED.  For some reason my phone won't let me up loud so I have the pics here http://m.imgur.com/a/bjQ93
I can get the transister lead values in a little bit,  I'm  on break at work right now.  Any help would be appreciated.

Jebus

You have to ground the sleeve of the other jack too, if its outside enclosure. Just put some jumper there while testing. :)

cdevor88

Quote from: Jebus on March 16, 2016, 12:54:02 PM
You have to ground the sleeve of the other jack too, if its outside enclosure. Just put some jumper there while testing. :)

Well that was it.  Its a bit scratchy but its working!  Thanks a bunch.

micromegas

This thread's name is a good representative of today's modern reality.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

cdevor88

Quote from: micromegas on March 16, 2016, 03:05:19 PM
This thread's name is a good representative of today's modern reality.

Hahahhaha that's great!   ;D :D ;D

cdevor88

Ok so I gave the hipster an official test and all I'm getting is either ungodly screeching noises or nothing.  Bypass works fine.  Any other ideas?

Jebus

I would suggest using the audio probe and checking at which point does the screeching noises appear. Also check this thread about posting voltages: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=902.0

cdevor88

OK, I'm going to probe it again and I will try to get all the voltages listed if I have time tonight.  Stupid question,  when I'm probing should I just go directly from the input to the output?  I don't need to probe connections that go to power or ground, correct?

cdevor88

Got it working.  Had a grounding issue again.  Now she's working.  She's ugly as hell, but she's fuzzy and working!

cdevor88

OK,  so I've been very busy for several months,  but im having problems with the Hipster.  I only get decent fuzz when I put the knobs in a very specific location.  I'm thinking I used crappy pots,  because there seems to be a HUGE dropoff while turning the knobs, plus I bought the cheapest ones available from TAYDA.  It goes from "nothing" to "way too much".  Any ideas?

Willybomb

You need a 1k reverse log pot IIRC for the gain on the Hipster.  If you got the right one from Tayda, it'll be marked 1kC.  It has a different taper curve that should fix the bunching up. 

Use the 470pf capacitor too if you have squeal.  I tried the stock value and worked my way through the suggestions in the build doc, but really, 470p killed it dead and nothing under that did...