News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Meditation: Anyone into it?

Started by TNblueshawk, March 17, 2016, 10:04:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNblueshawk

If so do you have a recommended beginner's DVD preferably but audio CD at the very least?

My wife seems to want to check into it and I always have but never have done anything about it really. I'm going to strike while the iron's hot as they say.
John

pryde

Not so much into straight meditation but love some yoga to get my chill on when I can; and it will kick your ass into shape  :)

Check out yoga vids from Rodney Yee. Calm instructor that will also put the hurt on.

culturejam

I have practiced meditation in the past (during a particularly stressful time in my life). It's not easy, but with some practice you can really improve your mental (and even physical) health.

Completely quieting your conscious mind is a lot harder than it might seem.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

galaxiex

You could look into Isochronic tones too.

Supposedly helpful for calming and meditation (and a host of other things).

I don't know if Isochronic's are snake oil, or what, but some folks seem to get good results.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isochronic_tones
Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.

TNblueshawk

I did some Yoga a few years ago and loved it. Worked my butt off. Then I tore my plantar fascia in my left foot while doing it  :o  Haven't been able to do it since. I'd say don't get old but then the alternative is no good. 
John

MacHeath

I can definitely recommend it and it can't hurt to try. But I would find a real life teacher if I were you. You might feel the need to talk to someone about questions that you have.

snz728

I tried the headspace app relaxed me but never have time to do it lately.

287m

meditation? i do, starting some years ago, just for know myself
and i just stop when i see and talk with my FOUR twin, in different color!
for first time, its very frightening but awesome
maybe you think im crazy, victim of illusion, whatever
this experience is real

now, i still do when i want. not routine.
=======
the fastest way (for me, the noob) to very relax meditation, is with solfeggio tune or theta frequency
and bend up your tongue, eyes focused in center between your two eyes

chromesphere

I used to listen to "mindfulness" cd's by Russ Harris which I believe is some sort of Zen meditation.  There are different exercises that address different aspects of your life, but the main idea being to allow things to happen without trying to control them.  Its relaxing and allows your mind to take more of a observatory perspective.  This is absolutely valuable for someone like me that overthinks the hell out of everything.   

The leaves on a stream session is very effective, essentially envisage a stream with leaves floating past.  When a thought enters your head place it on a leaf and allow it to float past without engaging with it.  The true lesson from this sort of meditation of course is to become more accepting, less controlling and to recognise your mind is a tool, its always offering information, thoughts and ideas, but you are the one driving the car and you don't need to react to every thought or idea that enters your head.

I really should try to make time for those exercises again, they are very practical and beneficial.
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

TNblueshawk

Quote from: chromesphere on March 20, 2016, 05:26:14 PM
I used to listen to "mindfulness" cd's by Russ Harris which I believe is some sort of Zen meditation.  There are different exercises that address different aspects of your life, but the main idea being to allow things to happen without trying to control them.  Its relaxing and allows your mind to take more of a observatory perspective.  This is absolutely valuable for someone like me that overthinks the hell out of everything.   

The leaves on a stream session is very effective, essentially envisage a stream with leaves floating past.  When a thought enters your head place it on a leaf and allow it to float past without engaging with it.  The true lesson from this sort of meditation of course is to become more accepting, less controlling and to recognise your mind is a tool, its always offering information, thoughts and ideas, but you are the one driving the car and you don't need to react to every thought or idea that enters your head.

I really should try to make time for those exercises again, they are very practical and beneficial.

Thanks for the thoughts on it Paul. I ordered a DVD that should come this week. I'll see what we think. The goal we have, and her in particular right now, is to really attempt to relieve stress and slow her mind down. She has a lot of health issues so we are trying anything to change the direction of her thoughts. I'm hoping it takes long term but at least short term and some lessons can be learned.
John

culturejam

QuoteThe goal we have, and her in particular right now, is to really attempt to relieve stress and slow her mind down. She has a lot of health issues so we are trying anything to change the direction of her thoughts.

I think meditation will definitely help in this regard. It's the ultimate form of "let it go".
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

TNblueshawk

Quote from: culturejam on March 21, 2016, 07:07:06 AM
QuoteThe goal we have, and her in particular right now, is to really attempt to relieve stress and slow her mind down. She has a lot of health issues so we are trying anything to change the direction of her thoughts.

I think meditation will definitely help in this regard. It's the ultimate form of "let it go".

And if I'm lucky I'll quit yelling at drivers in Nashville  :P
John

Gainzilla

I meditate with my 10yo daughter every morning. Not only is it a great morning ritual to look forward to, practicing mindfulness actually helps develop executive function. My daughter is on the highly functioning end of the autism spectrum, and we both have ADHD. She imagines a serene, calm place with beautiful horses next to a calm stream. Distractions are when the horses get out. Mindfulness to her is being able to keep the horses in.

+1 for Headspace app. Great way to learn how to meditate.

:)
I know it's only Rock and roll, but I like it!

TNblueshawk

Quote from: Gainzilla on March 22, 2016, 06:22:27 PM
I meditate with my 10yo daughter every morning. Not only is it a great morning ritual to look forward to, practicing mindfulness actually helps develop executive function. My daughter is on the highly functioning end of the autism spectrum, and we both have ADHD. She imagines a serene, calm place with beautiful horses next to a calm stream. Distractions are when the horses get out. Mindfulness to her is being able to keep the horses in.

+1 for Headspace app. Great way to learn how to meditate.

:)

Thanks GZ for the input. Much appreciated.
John