News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Question for the fuzz experts around here...

Started by gtr2, July 23, 2011, 08:14:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtr2

Is there a build that can get me close to this fuzz in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C16zkacL4lQ

Thanks,

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

stecykmi

sounds like a fuzz face derivative to me mostly because it can get fairly clean. I would try a SnackShack, but turn R2 into a 1k (or 2k) pot for fuzz control. it also sounds fairly dark, so might try increasing the input cap a bit, try .05uF or so.

on another note, those pedals have really weird enclosures.

FredGarvin

Wouldn't a Fuzz Factory get close to this? I know the controls Stab and Comp change the biasing of the transistors and would give you that sputtering sound?

The enclosures look like transformer housings.

gtr2

I've got a fuzz factory and fuzz face.  I can't get that type of fuzz with either.  The fuzz factory is closer but not quite the same.  I didn't think the demo sounded as dark as a fuzz face.  It was more cutting.  What about a muff with more mids.

BTW yes, that enclosure is ridiculous.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

JakeFuzz

The website says it is a fuzz face with a tone control (well that's what I could figure out). That tone stack is cutting out some of the bass frequencies. I sort of get this semi gated sound with a high gain Si (2N5089) in Q1 and a normal gain Ge (2N404) in Q2, maybe throw in a Drangonfly tone-stack and that could work.  ???    

http://www.t-pedals.com/it/T-FUZZ.htm

gtr2

Yeah, that's seems logical.  It only says "one ge transistor"  so it must be a si/ge hybrid.  I'll have to fool on the breadboard a little and see what I come up with.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

night-B

Quote from: JakeFuzz on July 23, 2011, 11:12:56 AM
The website says it is a fuzz face with a tone control (well that's what I could figure out). That tone stack is cutting out some of the bass frequencies. I sort of get this semi gated sound with a high gain Si (2N5089) in Q1 and a normal gain Ge (2N404) in Q2, maybe throw in a Drangonfly tone-stack and that could work.  ???   

http://www.t-pedals.com/it/T-FUZZ.htm

I think this is a Si/Ge fuzz face too. Some guitarists only swear by them...
I tried a bc108 for the Si and this was really cool ;)

dwstanford

The wooly mammoth is definitely in the ballpark as well.  Some of the modded muffs have a similar quality also.  But I can hear germanium in there. I think jake's probably right about the hybrid fuzz face.  It has sort of a germanium sound with a bit of the compression and growly treble associatetd with a med/high gain silicon.  Great fuzz.

jtn191

that is the most intense demo of a noise reduction pedal I've ever seen

gtr2

yeah, the noise gate seems pretty good for under 100 bills
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

bigmufffuzzwizz

That fuzz is definitely mean and meaty. Kinda reminds me of how a cranked champ sounds. I'm impressed by how well the noise gate works while still retaining what sounds like full tone. I'm curious if its a pedal that could be left on through a set or another box to think about turning on and off.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

gtr2

You can set it up to have your noisy pedal in the smart gates loop and just turn the noise gate on and off.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer