News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

MN3005 Preorder update and restock (diyguitarpedals.com.au)

Started by chromesphere, March 20, 2016, 03:35:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chromesphere

Hey guys,

I was actually holding off posting something until i had the stock in my hand, (DHL tells me it will be monday or tuesday hopefully) but thought i should start a thread because of the small bear thread that was made recently.  I don't want people to think there's something going on with the preorder that was started yonks ago, im sure theres a 'delay' pun in there somewhere :)

So yes, those chips that are remaining on preorder will be here very soon and i will endeavor to post these out as soon as possible.   I would like to say here also, thank you to the communities patience, you have all been exceptionally understanding about the circumstances and made a horrid experience that much more bearable.

I took the liberty of grabbing some additional stock with the preorder BBD's.  This means there should be about 150 left over after the preorders are dealt with.  All going smoothly, this will be added as a standard stocked item this week (Update, this has happened: http://www.diyguitarpedals.com.au/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=416).  There have been a lot of unexpected expenses come up, i was considering increasing my prices to a level that others have them stocked at, but im going to hold off on this for a while longer.  This means that the bbds will still be sold at 22.50$ aud each (current conversion approx $17 usd) as per the preorder.   This is the cheapest price available, at least that i know of.  Untracked domestic and international post will be $4 probably up to 10+ chips (approx).

Thanks again for your patience, hoping to get these preorders filled as soon as possible!

Any questions etc please leave them here.

Cheers guys
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

Jebus

chromesphere

An epic saga Kalle, thank you for your patience.

Well, look what arrived on my desk today! (Photo)

More stock available also here: http://www.diyguitarpedals.com.au/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=416

Cheers
Paul

Mojo Fandangle

Despite not knowing much about MN3005's, I am almost convinced that I really want some.

Can anybody tell me what pcb's are out there for MN3005 Delay builds and maybe give a breif explanation of the mojo factor?

From what little I've read about MN3005 mojo, it gives more headroom and possibly a nicer modulation.

I'm guessing that it's not as simple as swapping out PT2399's for MN3005's, but feel free to tell me it is.

PT2399's have always given me drama so I'd be keen to order some MN3005's if I can find a build for them, and if they help with eradicating the noise issues with londer delay times that happen with PT2399's.

I like using longer delays, up to 500ms. I was hoping the MN3005's are better for longer dealys than PT2399's, but I've read they aren't for long delay. Is this correct?
"If you don't do it yourself, no-one else will do it yourself"

https://www.youtube.com/user/MarkDally

chromesphere

Heres a couple of my non-scientific of answers to your questions Mark

Quote from: Mojo Fandangle on March 20, 2016, 06:20:40 PM
I'm guessing that it's not as simple as swapping out PT2399's for MN3005's, but feel free to tell me it is.

Correct, you cant swap pt2399's for MN3005's, they are totally different circuits

PT2399's have always given me drama so I'd be keen to order some MN3005's if I can find a build for them,

MN3005 delay builds are quite complicated, lots of mojo parts to source and generally a complicated circuit.

and if they help with eradicating the noise issues with londer delay times that happen with PT2399's.

mn3005 are noisy as well being analogue but its a different sort of noise and more pleasing then digital noise, imo at least.  You wont get that harsh noise you get with pt2399's with 2 x mn3005's at max delay.

I like using longer delays, up to 500ms. I was hoping the MN3005's are better for longer dealys than PT2399's, but I've read they aren't for long delay. Is this correct?

Datasheet for the mn3005 (Panasonic and xvive) states delay length between 20ms-200ms approximately.  2 x mn3005's will get you 400ms max.  Of course you can go past this point, 1 second if you like, but your repeats will start to loose a lot of top end and become "muddy".  there may be projects that have 4 x mn3005 (I think there are??), an expensive effect but that would get you around 800ms delay and maintain a relatively clear repeat signal.

Hope that helps!
Paul

Mojo Fandangle

Thanks Paul. Very helpful, as always.

Sounds like I'd best leave the mn3005's to the pro's.
I'd probably just be wasting valuable stock on expensive impotent mojo failures.

chromesphere

sorry I didn't mean to turn you off the idea, just wanted to slightly stress their complexity.  But then I approached my bbd in probably the hardest way possible (etched board, non-confirmed ic's, coolaudio chips!!! etc) so I'm once bitten twice shy.  With a fabbed board and tested IC's it would make the process much simpler.  Still would recommend some building experience before tackling one though.  Similar difficulty to a flanger, phaser etc if you are confident with those, probably shouldn't have trouble with a bbd delay either.  They are a fantastic sounding delay, the sort of delay that draws you in.

Mojo Fandangle

Thanks Paul.

Do you know of any pre fab PCB's available for MN3005 Delays?
I couldn't find any current Madbean projects for them.

lincolnic

The Total Recall is a DMM clone designed for two MN3005s or four MN3008s.

Tremelo68

chromesphere

nzCdog

Yeeeyaahh! Thanks Paul, stoked for these things! 8).

Now I just gotta figure out what to build!

chromesphere