News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Two builds using PIF enclosures

Started by gül, March 20, 2016, 05:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gül

I received a few enclosures from Luke51411 in a PIF a while back. There were some odd holes drilled in them, so I had to get creative and it was a really fun experience. Here are two things I made with them:

A Harmonic Percolator/Sardonic Albinator clone. I made it so it could be either an HP or a SA, or any variation of the two via the tone switches. It has a 2N404a transistor in it, along with a 2N1169 (it just sounded better to my ears than the 2N3565, so I switched it out). The diodes are BAT41s and black glass Russian 1N695s. I made the LED speckled like the enclosure.

A Noisy Cricket amp. Nothing special about it, just stock. I like these little LM386-based amps. I live in an apartment building where the neighbors are super-fussy about noise, so these are great to have around.

Thanks again, Luke!

Luke51411

Awesom! Great to see these put to good use!

gül

Thanks again, Luke! I'm still trying to fit the DigDug I into the yellow enclosure. I will prevail! One day.

Addy Bart

Nice builds and that sparkly finish on the HP looks very good! How does the Albini side of the pedal shape up? Always enjoyed the racket he makes with Shellac  :)

gül

The Sardonic side is cool. I made both side's caps switchable 'cuz I tend to like a combination of the Regular HP and the SA. I switch between bass and guitar, so any kind of tonal variation on a pedal almost always benefits me.

Addy Bart

What a great idea. How did you make switching between the two variations possible - are there two boards in there? IIRC the resistor values were different between the HP and SA.

And that's one tasty looking green LED in the Noisy Cricket  8)

Leevibe

Nice job on both. The amp is particularly cool!

gül

Thanks, Leevibe! I made a matching 'lil cabinet for it out of a bamboo recipe box.

gül

Quote from: Addy Bart on March 24, 2016, 04:09:36 AM
What a great idea. How did you make switching between the two variations possible - are there two boards in there? IIRC the resistor values were different between the HP and SA.

And that's one tasty looking green LED in the Noisy Cricket  8)

Thanks! I only made the cap values switchable, but I socketed all the resistors so I could make everything play nice. I don't recall what values I ended up with. I play a tele, so I guess my pedals are optimized for use with single coil pickups. I really need to pick up a guitar with humbuckers one of these days. I'm sure it would be invaluable for testing out stuff.