News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mail Call Ruby Amp

Started by gül, March 25, 2016, 04:09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gül

The LM386-based 9v amp circuit bug has bitten me HARD! I built the Noisy Cricket and the RunOffGroove.com Ruby. Definitely preferred the sound of the Ruby, so I built a few.

I built this Ruby into a Smith-Corona Mail Call enclosure. It's made of Bakelite and it's really cool-looking. I was able to re-purpose most of the existing hardware, including the Pioneer 'lil speaker inside (of course it has an out jack for plugging into a real speaker as well) and the inset potentiometer wheel. I used cloth-covered wire & some Russian paper-in-oil capacitors for the Ruby circuit, just for fun. Lastly, I added a simple Rub-A-Dub reverb just because I personally like built-in reverb on my amps. I didn't bother with a battery snap cuz I figured the Reverb would drain it pretty quickly. I don't use batteries anyway. This is perfect for city apartment rocking.  ;)

matmosphere

That's awesome! Nice idea using old enclosures. 

gül

Thanks  :D

I'm always scouring thrift stores for cool-looking enclosures... and mojo parts. One day I hope to find me a SAD1024 for my lonely Electric Mistress build. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff I find. I have found MN chips, stashes of obsolete germanium transistors and diodes, etc... For me, it's so much more fun to build things out of salvaged parts.

selfdestroyer

gül

Lubdar

That is pure greatness!! Excellent and very stylish looking re-purposing going on in here :)
(--c^.^)--c

jimilee

That pretty sweet all the way around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Leevibe

Dang that's cool. I need to get out to be goodwill soon. You've just inspired me.

gül

Quote from: Leevibe on March 26, 2016, 05:51:06 PM
Dang that's cool. I need to get out to be goodwill soon. You've just inspired me.

Do it! There are untold treasures everywhere. One time I came up on someone's entire workbench contents at my local thrift store. I gots scads of germanium transistors, diodes, and enough silver mica caps to last me two lifetimes. All for $10! And the cashier felt bad even charging me that much "but it's in this nice case"... Yep, the parts came in a beautiful vintage storage case, too.