News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Ping troubleshooting

Started by LateCentury, March 27, 2016, 02:06:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LateCentury

So I just finished building my Ping. All components in place, wires hooked up. Plugged it in and it passes a clear signal to the amp. Once I turn on the switch, the LED lights up but it makes what I would call a sputtering static sound and the guitar signal is cut off completely. I'm going through and checking all the wires, solder bridges that I can see, basically everything I can get at without taking off the reverb brick.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what this sound could be indicating?

madbean

Can we see a pic of the build and wiring?

LateCentury

jimilee

What's the solder side look like and have you reflowed everything yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

LateCentury

Quote from: jimilee on March 27, 2016, 01:45:57 PM
What's the solder side look like and have you reflowed everything yet?

Mainly everything is covered with the reverb brick. Contemplating how to heat and remove tin pins at once...  ???

jimilee

Desoldering iron or braid. Take some voltage Readings before that though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

madbean

Are you sure you have that DC Jack wired correctly? I can't tell from the angle of the pic. You won't be able to use that jack anyway - it will cause a short with the enclosure. Use plastic/insulated jacks for DC.

LateCentury

Quote from: madbean on March 27, 2016, 02:45:18 PM
Are you sure you have that DC Jack wired correctly? I can't tell from the angle of the pic. You won't be able to use that jack anyway - it will cause a short with the enclosure. Use plastic/insulated jacks for DC.

Ah, good to know. I'll swap it out and try it again.

LateCentury

Is it possible I could have ruined something by not having the DC leads hooked up right and powering it on?

Leevibe

I think you have the opamp flipped.

LateCentury

Quote from: Leevibe on March 28, 2016, 05:18:05 AM
I think you have the opamp flipped.

I'll try that next. Is there a possibility i will (or have) burned something out or ruined any components by having this flipped and sending power to it?

madbean

Yeah good call - IC is wrong way in. It's possible it could have been damaged but in my experience it's probably fine. Flip it around, check your voltages on pin8 and 4 to make sure they are right.

m-Kresol

I think you also wired the stereo pot in the wrong way. I think you swapped rows and columns there, though it's hard to see on the picture.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

LateCentury

Ok, the IC was definitely in backwards. Now, when I switch it on I get no signal, but also no static. Whats interesting is that I accidentally bumped one of the #1 pins in the Room pot against the metal end of the guitar cable and it gave off a high pitch squeel but with reverb, so something is definitely working. I can also turn up and down the pots and they seem to be changing the sound as well.

Here's how i have the Room pot hooked up.

I did also notice that when the switch is on and I unplug the power, there is no bypass signal. It completely cuts out. Is that the way its supposed to be? Might i have the IN/OUT jacks wired wrong somehow?

m-Kresol

If the pot is indeed wired like this, it should be ok  :)
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials