News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Boss CE1 Chorus/Vibrato

Started by wasteofspace, June 25, 2010, 05:02:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wasteofspace

This should test you out, Brian!

I got to play with a CE1 the other day, and it makes a CE2 sound like trash- and to me, that's saying something. OK, it had to be after a buffered pedal to work right, but didn't it work right! Oh, my....  :P

Agreed there's a small problem with the CE1 being originally for keyboards, but that's only a matter of fixing the impedence, or maybe slipping a little buffer into the box.

If you could do it, I would worship at your feet and proclaim "I am not worthy" on the hour, every hour. :-* :-*

wasteofspacester (who is not worthy anyway...)

(Oh, and in return, I shall build an original-spec 18v Colorsound Booster out of the cherrybomb to share with everyone. Hey, good enough for Gilmour, good enough for me...)

(edited to add bribery)
- dMac

Making his own pedals since 1998!

madbean

Ha ha. Okay, I'll consider it a challenge then. The old CE-1's look very tasty, but I have to admit I've never heard one.

Effectsiation

Bump :)

I realize the Pork Barrel is out and cool and all, but the CE-1 has a classic sound and man would I love to be able to build/mod one on a smaller size board (with a charge pump).

Jargo

+1     (I have an original CE1, and tons of gut shots if you need tons of reference material)
Dennis

bigmufffuzzwizz

This along with the Mutron Bi-Phase have been my dream pedals...I've never heard either but I know they are that good!!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

masterlk

The best chorus I have ever used is the Rockman Chorus. The module one. I wonder if there is a schem floating around somewhere...

Scruffie

I started looking in to this the other day... certainly as many of us know the circuit will need adjusting to work with guitar instead of its original intention... and it would be a largeish circuit, but it would be doable.

Although I question if making a pedal based work-a-like would be a nicer/simpler/more interesting way to go.

The circuit also uses a 512-Stage BBD, a 4049 Buffered 3007/3207 would probably be necessary as there wont be many 3002s to go around (although a 3207 alone may well do the job, I haven't looked in to it that closely).

The Delay time & LFO Shape are gunna be most important to the sound of this, that's pretty simple to take and jam in to a new pedal design. Stick in the filtering of your favourite chorus to simplify the audio path = easy to build CE-1 'style' clone.

Several features could be dropped, peak level, stereo output, hi/lo. Help it all fit nicely in a 125B/1590BB.

Then again, I can see how horribly unpopular that take would be  ;D

Works at Lectric-FX

jkokura

At that point, you may as well use a CE-2, which is pretty much what Boss did. They took the CE-1, made it for guitar and dropped some of those features you mentioned I think. Or at least that's what it appears to be.

Frankly, i got excited about the idea of a CE-1 because they're so venerable, but looking at the schem I don't know if it's truly worth it. Perhaps for the one off sort of tribute, but if you want that MN3007 sort of chorus, the CE-2 circuit is pretty awesome.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Scruffie

Quote from: jkokura on November 08, 2011, 03:05:59 PM
At that point, you may as well use a CE-2, which is pretty much what Boss did. They took the CE-1, made it for guitar and dropped some of those features you mentioned I think. Or at least that's what it appears to be.
Shhhh, if you say that you'll ruin the mojo and value of them  ;)

QuoteFrankly, i got excited about the idea of a CE-1 because they're so venerable, but looking at the schem I don't know if it's truly worth it. Perhaps for the one off sort of tribute, but if you want that MN3007 sort of chorus, the CE-2 circuit is pretty awesome.

Yeah that was pretty much my feelings/conclusion, without comparisson though I couldn't say exactly but what I was suggesting was merely a chorus a little 'closer' to the CE-1, without being it... just to satisfy peoples cravings. Personally, I can't see it being anything more amazing than a Small Clone/CE-2 other than it's rarity, but give the people what they want!

Which is why I said this -
QuoteThen again, I can see how horribly unpopular that take would be  ;D
Works at Lectric-FX

bigmufffuzzwizz

I'll admit my cravings are based on hype, never having held/seen/played one and how mythical they look. I wanna believe there is something very special about them, seeing as people claim them to be the "holy grail" of chorus pedals.
Is this actually a very similar circuit (chorus) to the CE-2? The wonders of demystifying!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals