News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Re: Caps In NanoFarads and Other

Started by K3yPr0gg3r, March 29, 2016, 05:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K3yPr0gg3r

Hi,

Just starting with pedal building, and was curious about something. Why are ALL build document, (FILM), capacitors in NanoFarads when no companies carry anything but uF or pF? Found a conversion chart from the JustRadios site, so that seems to be helpful. Also, sometimes I find Caps in 5% and sometimes in 10%. If I mix does it matter?

Thanks

EBRAddict

Primarily for ease of notation. 1nF is easier to read than 0.001uF or 1000pF.

The names are just increments of 1,000

5% and 10% can be mixed, rock on. If the price is the same between a 5% and 10% buy the 5% otherwise don't bother. Unless you're designing a lab instrument and not a stompbox it probably doesn't matter.

K3yPr0gg3r

COOL...Thank you, for both explanations! I've just had some frustrations with passive parts, IC's and Transitiors. I keep buying one thing at one specific place, (I.E. Jameco Electric is the only place I can find a Charge Pump, but they don't have any Caps or Resistors I need). Mouser and Mammoth have been the best so far. Anyway, thanks again...

brucer

Also, the pF, nF and uF units in BOM's are often used to designate ceramic, film and electrolytic caps.  I always check this against the layout or schematic, but it helps avoid mistakes when ordering parts.

Now, why Small Bear reports cap values in mF, I have NO idea!  :o

davent

Quote from: brucer on March 29, 2016, 08:36:43 PM

Now, why Small Bear reports cap values in mF, I have NO idea!  :o

Which is millifards where he wants to say microfarads, µF.

mF ≠ µF.

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?