News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Anyone using a Canon laser with sucessful results??

Started by blearyeyes, March 29, 2016, 11:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blearyeyes

I've been reading about the issues using Canon Lasers for toner transfers. The info I read was old.
Does Canon Laser toner still have issues?

Because I bought a Canon for etching.........DOH! :-\

selfdestroyer

I think its all about trying it and seeing your results. I really would not take comments on tech over 5 years old to be relevant to today's standards. But.... I'm not sure how much technology change there has been on drums and fusers for laser printers. There might have been a model or a few models that year that used the same drums and fusers that had issues. No telling if the problems still exist now.

Give it a go and if it doesn't work for your needs, return it. lol

Tip: If there is a "density" setting, make sure you set it to max. this will give you the thickest density of toner on your printouts.

Cody

blearyeyes

I think someone figured out Canon used epoxy based toner as the only difference.
I think you're right why ask when you can DIY?
I'll find out.

"Full Density Ahead!"

alparent

I've used a Canon for the last 5 years .
Not a problem. With original or refill cartridges.
I'm French.......sorry for my bad Englishhhhhhh.

blearyeyes

Quote from: alparent on March 30, 2016, 12:56:13 AM
I've used a Canon for the last 5 years .
Not a problem. With original or refill cartridges.

Thanks for the info..

alparent

Finding the paper you like and applying the right force, heat and time with the iron was the biggest challenge. Nothing trial and error can't fix.

I've been using photo paper for the last years but I'm running out.
Ordered some of that cheap yellow paper on Ebay. Hope it works as good.

galaxiex

Quote from: alparent on March 31, 2016, 05:08:39 PM
Finding the paper you like and applying the right force, heat and time with the iron was the biggest challenge. Nothing trial and error can't fix.

I've been using photo paper for the last years but I'm running out.
Ordered some of that cheap yellow paper on Ebay. Hope it works as good.

I got 100 sheets of that yellow ebay paper and that is what finally got me my first success with etching a board!

I tried several "other" methods like the glossy magazine paper, fancy photo paper etc. and just could not get a clean transfer to the board even after many trial/error attempts (heat, pressure, time).

Soooo, I guess I'm sayin that cheap yellow ebay paper works great for me.  :)

Hope you have the same success!

Edit; I'm using a nice HP color Laser printer, but only print transfers in black of course.
(printer was free, my old boss was throwing it out after only one month use)
Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.

selfdestroyer

This is all I use:

Its got a guitar on the front.. so you know its made for instrument use. LOL

In all seriousness I have found it works the best for my situation.

I get it at Office Depot here in town but you can also get it from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/HP-Premium-Presentation-Glossy-8-5x11/dp/B003KU4DSW

Cody

alparent

Quote from: galaxiex on April 01, 2016, 01:12:08 AM

Old boss!? They kicked him out after they found out he gave you a month old color laser printer?  ::)

galaxiex

Quote from: alparent on April 01, 2016, 02:29:43 PM
Quote from: galaxiex on April 01, 2016, 01:12:08 AM

Old boss!? They kicked him out after they found out he gave you a month old color laser printer?  ::)

Ha ha,  :) No he's my "old boss" cause I quit.  *Warning* Rant coming....

I Could no longer put up with his rants, insults and impatience.
No kidding, he actually yells insults at the employees for the slightest little mistake, or even perceived mistake.
Never an apology even if he discovers that you were right all along.

He was going to throw out the printer cause it "takes too long" to print out an invoice.

I tried to tell him that the settings needed adjusting. He's computer illiterate, If you clicked on the "print" button and wait..................
...... and wait some more............ and after about 2 minutes it would finally spit out the invoice.

So his impatience took over and he bought a new printer that was "faster".

His loss, tho he has so much money to burn anyway, he'll never miss it.
He buys a new high end car (Mercedes, Beemer), whatever strikes his fancy, every 6 to 8 months and then trades in the previous one.

So sad that someone who has the hard work thing down (that's how he built his successful business) is such a wasteful d*ckhead.

Oh ya, I'm now much happier at my new place of employment.
But the boss here doesn't discard perfectly good (expensive) stuff, just on an impatient whim.  ::)

Rant over. Sorry for the OT.
Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.

Orbis_Ignis

Quote from: selfdestroyer on April 01, 2016, 04:09:10 AM
This is all I use:

Its got a guitar on the front.. so you know its made for instrument use. LOL

In all seriousness I have found it works the best for my situation.

I get it at Office Depot here in town but you can also get it from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/HP-Premium-Presentation-Glossy-8-5x11/dp/B003KU4DSW

Cody

I've been using that for my etches too. It seems to work really well. I just etched my first board but have been etching enclosures. I used my wife's t-shirt transfer machine(sublimation machine) for the board and it came out perfect. I wish I could use it for enclosures.

alparent

Quote from: Orbis_Ignis on April 02, 2016, 01:12:25 AM
I used my wife's t-shirt transfer machine(sublimation machine) for the board and it came out perfect.

Please tell more.

Orbis_Ignis

Quote from: alparent on April 04, 2016, 02:27:40 PM
I used my wife's t-shirt transfer machine(sublimation machine) for the board and it came out perfect.

Please tell more.
It's this one from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009CCVS4E/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1459783297&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=PowerPress&dpPl=1&dpID=41VbREd%2BQ3L&ref=plSrch

I put it in with a t-shirt over it at 190 degrees C for about 30 seconds. And the traces and everything came out great.

I just finished populating the board and testing it. And it works perfect. Super excited and can't wait to do more.

gst_greg

Quote from: Orbis_Ignis on April 04, 2016, 03:27:37 PM
Quote from: alparent on April 04, 2016, 02:27:40 PM

Please tell more.
It's this one from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009CCVS4E/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1459783297&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=PowerPress&dpPl=1&dpID=41VbREd%2BQ3L&ref=plSrch

I put it in with a t-shirt over it at 190 degrees C for about 30 seconds. And the traces and everything came out great.

I just finished populating the board and testing it. And it works perfect. Super excited and can't wait to do more.

See, I thought about doing this as well, but for enclosures.
When I was etching the artwork on hammond enclosures, it was absolute murder.
I finally went to etching the graphics onto black PCB and attaching that to the face of the pedal.
I started using  a laminator to stick the PnP Blue to the PCB for artwork as well as circuit boards.
Used FedEx Office/Kinkos because the xerox copiers gave me perfect results every time.
NOW they've gone to Canon printers, and the very first PCB I tried failed horribly.
I guess my question is, have you ever tried to transfer toner to an enclosure using the T Shirt press?