News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Hogweed, Liquid Mercury and Twin PEaks

Started by destro, April 02, 2016, 10:40:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

destro

Finally, they are done. Been sitting on the boards since the first round a year and a half ago.

The Twin Peaks is absolutely killer. It takes the functionality of the musdicpcb tap trem and combines it with the perks of the cardinal trem and then some. Black you can get stutter chop standard volume trem sounds. The brown gives a more "warbly" vibrato/phase modulation kind of sounds in certain settings and the bass and treble settings are fun for "out of the box" trem sounds as well. I had some issues with ticking and ended up using a 100pf across the volume pot and it fixed it at least at "jam in the basement" volumes in the squarest choppiest black mode I could put it in.

The Liquid Mercury is  phenomenal as well. I lowered r7 for more feedback, I think I went with 4.7k which put it into oscillation mode. The tone control is a great touch and the choice waveforms are picked out for ya. Again, all types of phaser/vibe sounds readily available. If I had to do it all over again I would 1790ns it, add the stage select switch as well as a 4p3t rotary for cap select for stock, univibe and something else mode. At one point Drolo posted some values that he preferred and I know I commented on it but I think the forum crash ate it.

Hogweed is neato. I was looking for something to cop a fuzzed out pog octave type deal and this definitely does it. And yet again, LOTS of fun, cool sounds to be had. I believe I was the first to notice the transistor t7 discrepancy so make sure you check out your pinout.

If you record music all of these boxes are wonderful studio tools! So many sounds to be had. The dual board construction was a nice break from the norm as well.

Finally, I had a situation where I ordered four taplfo chips on a previous group buy and they were defective. Tap mode was jacked as well as random mode on all four chips. It was over a year ago and the original seller did not offer to help when I contacted him. I shot Selfdestroyer a pm and a couple weeks later I had the four back reprogrammed "unicorn dna" style and they worked like a charm. After feeling totally ripped, the kindness of this dude made things right again.

In conclusion, these projects are super rad, and Drolo and Selfdestroyer are super good dudes.

chordball

Beautiful work man! I especially like the first one - Hogweed I assume? Dead influence or just some cool art?

drolo

These all look fantastic.
Love the wavy tremolo!

playpunk

Nice!!! Great graphics too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk

destro

Quote from: chordball on April 02, 2016, 10:44:54 AM
Beautiful work man! I especially like the first one - Hogweed I assume? Dead influence or just some cool art?

I just google stuff and them mess with it in photoshop. I have been enjoying working with the clear waterslide decals so it is usually simple black and white. I really like when the enclosure shows through. I'd have a blast with etching if it wasn't such a PITA.

Guitarmageddon

Spud knows tone!

Captain Cod at
www.codtone.com

monkeyssj1

Timko

These builds look great. I'm more excited to begin these now!

destro

Thanks everyone! You gotta give these a shot, especially the modulation builds, if you haven't. Awesome projects!!

stringsthings

Love the decals.  I like how they cover the entire top.  I just started on my 3 builds. 

I also like the choice/colour of the knobs.
All You Need Is Love

Coda-effects

The tremolo is super nice looking !!
Well done, beautiful builds

stringsthings

Just finished my Giant Hogweed Fuzz.  ( no camera for pics )  Lots and lots of fuzzy sounds.
I did shield the input wire to the 3PDT as I was getting some noise.  Very nice PCB to work with.
Thanks again to David for the project.  Onto the Liquid Mercury and the Twin Peaks !
All You Need Is Love

dbp512

Quote from: stringsthings on April 16, 2016, 08:03:02 PM
Just finished my Giant Hogweed Fuzz.  ( no camera for pics )  Lots and lots of fuzzy sounds.
I did shield the input wire to the 3PDT as I was getting some noise.  Very nice PCB to work with.
Thanks again to David for the project.  Onto the Liquid Mercury and the Twin Peaks !

I've yet to start any of my drolo boards, but I'm going to begin a hogweed tomorrow. Did shielding the wire make much difference? I don't have any shielded cable and don't really want to wait for another order, especially because I can't do the other boards without buying a pic programmer to flash the LFOs.
"you truly are a transistor tickler, what with the application of germanium ointment to sensitive fuzzy areas. :)" - playpunk