News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Slambox...no output.

Started by tenwatt, July 08, 2011, 09:31:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tenwatt

So I built the circuit, tested it...no sound.  Probed it and got sound from the input, and the first side of C1.  On the other side of C1...no sound.  I replaced C1 and got the same results.  What's my next step?
Not too bright....

jimmybjj

Maybe a solder bridge, can you take a high res pic?
Pcbs no longer available

gtr2

yeah a solder bridge to the next door ground pad would be plausible

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

bigmufffuzzwizz

The other side of C1 is connected to the transistor. Those BS170 can get fried from ESD. If you don't see any solder bridges and all parts values/placement is correct, its possible that transistor is blown.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

gtr2

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on July 09, 2011, 08:29:58 AM
The other side of C1 is connected to the transistor. Those BS170 can get fried from ESD. If you don't see any solder bridges and all parts values/placement is correct, its possible that transistor is blown.

Yeah, but he'd still get a signal at the gate pin of the tranny if that was the case.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

madbean

The Zener might be backwards. Are you using a 9.1v zener at the transistor?

Dixie_Crap

I had this problem just this weekend while building my first DIY pedal.
It was driving me mad everything seemed to work, bypass, LED, the crackle OK pot even crackled very very slightly, but no output from the guitar :s

After much poking around, I concluded that it must be the transistor (I am a total newb and therefore I thought it was very possible that I could have burnt it out with my iron).

So, I set about desoldering the trannie (not as easy as I imagined, but I got it out in the end), replaced it with a fresh BS170 being very careful not to burn it out and WALLOP! it worked!!!

This pedal I incredible!

I am trying my best to paint the enclosure at the moment and will post a few snaps when I am done.

Stick at it Tenwatt, its well worth it when its all working :D